Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Flash issues of 1919 World War 1

I saw by searching the message board that some years ago there were some older issues of the "Flash" being offered and requested, but I believe those were from the WWII era and published by the Veteran's Association. For anyone more interested in the World War 1 era, I thought I might give a little information about the 1919 "Flash" which was published in France after the Armistice by active members of the 78th Division while awaiting transport back to the US.

In Meehan's "78th Division in the World War," p. 177, he gives the dates as 6 February through 10 May 1919 inclusive. It was a four page weekly measuring 14 x 21 inches (too big for my scanner).

I have been tracking issues down, starting with a pair that my grandfather, Sgt. George Standen, Co. B., 303rd Engineers, had brought back from France and which gave me before he died in 1974. Ultimately, after consulting them, I plan to get them to an appropriate repository as they seem to be rather unusual and deserving of preservation. I am not aware of another AEF divisional newspaper published by the men.

So far I have obtained a number of issues, but I still lack a few:
13, 20 and 27 February I have -- lack 6 February
6, 13, and 27 March I have -- lack 20 March
3,10,17,24 April I have
for May -- lack 3 and 10

I have checked for library and museum holdings, but there are only a couple scattered issues held in the US and they are all unfortunately redundant. The WWI museum had three issues now digitised by Adam Matthew; the Univ. Rochester and the Wisconsin Veterans Museum both have just one.

I would like someday to consult the missing issues and would ask that if anyone has one of the above, or runs into one at some library, to contact me by email to jonathan.lebreton@gmail.com.

Your location (optional): Pennsylvania