Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frank Irgang, F Company, 309th

I recently wrote an article on Frank Irgang (deceased), who was in F Company, 309th Infantry Regiment, 78th Infantry Division, but claimed to have landed on D-Day with the 29th Division (which does not seem to be true). The article is available here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/100th-infantry-division-reenacted/etched-in-purple-separating-fact-from-fiction/1929054823797287/

I was sent a scan of page 95 of the January 2001 issue of "The Flash" which includes a story on Irgang in which he claims to have joined the 78th Infantry Division in December 1944 and states that he regularly attended 78th Division reunions and gatherings of F Company, 309th.

Does anyone on this board have any other information on Mr. Irgang? Are there any vets of F Company, 309th still alive?

Re: Frank Irgang, F Company, 309th

Tom,

You will need to look at the morning reports of F/309 for Dec 1944. They will list new arrivals. They are on microfilm at the St Louis Archives. You can make an appointment to view them yourself or hire a local researcher to do it for you. They will verify his account if true.

Similarly, the morning reports for his old unit will be there also. You will need to know the date he was WIA and lost to that unit. I am not familiar with the replacements depots records.

Jim Cooper

Your location (optional): Ohio