Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

Forum: The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
WW1 308th Machine Gun Battalion, 78th Division

My father served in WW1. He died when I was 5 at the age of 43. I am trying to track down information concerning him. His tombstone says he was in the battle of Belleau Wood, 308th MG Battalion, 78th Division. Do you know where I can find information concerning same? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Your location (optional): Iowa

Email  
Re: WW1 308th Machine Gun Battalion, 78th Division

You might check into the CD copies of WWI 78th Division unit histories published by Digital Bookshelf

http://www.thedigitalbookshelf.com/division_78.htm

The 308th MGB was organic to the 155th Infantry Brigade of the 78th Division

Also, please review our RESEARCH section of the website for other source documents and where to look. There is some good information there for those willing to take the initiative.

Good luck in your search.

Webmaster

Your location (optional): California

Bessie,

Send me your address and I will send you a book titled: 78th Division summary of Operations in the World War; it was prepared by the American Battle Monuments Commission in 1944. When I purchased the book, I thought it dealt with the WWII era, but upon reception found it concerned WWI. It will mean more to you and your descendants than it does to me.

It is only a broad outline and there is not much specific to the 308th MG Batt., but there are two detailed maps to show locations in which the units were in action.

Best regards

Jim Cooper

Your location (optional): Ohio

Email  

Hi Bessie; I have a copy of a diary written by a soldier from Co. B. 308th MG Battalion. If you were interested I could send you a copy.
Ed

Your location (optional): Annville, Pa.

Email  

Bessie,

My grandfather served in Co. C, 308th MG Battalion. Part of the Marine Brigade of the 2nd Div. fought at Belleau Wood and the 78th Division had no part in it. If your father served with the 78th or in the Army, the reference to Belleau Wood on his tombstone is in error.
The 78th Div. arrived in June of 1918 and fought at St. Mihiel,the Limey Sector and in the Meuse-Argonne campaign at the north end of the Argonne Forest at Grand Pre and beyond.
In one of his books, the First Army Commander, Lt. General Hunter Liggett called the area around Grand Pre "the strongest short position that I ever saw on the whole Western Front."

Email  

i believe my greatuncle arch sparlin was in company a 308th mg battalion 78th div. i would like to learn more about it if anyone could help

Your location (optional): st charles mo

Email  

Hi,
This is a long shot given the year of the original posting however. I am tracking down details of a relative who was in the 308th Machine Gun Battalion, B Company (May 1918 - Dec 1918.

I would love to see the diary if anyone could provide - or any details on B company 308th MG.

Thanks.
Martin

Your location (optional): Ireland

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools