Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

Forum: The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Advanced Research documents now available

The RESEARCH section of the website now has an Advanced Research Subsection.

For details, please review the information in Subsection 7 in the Research Section of the Website.

This area is intended for use by serious researchers with advanced computer skills due to the extremely large file sizes that have to be downloaded using high speed internet connections. They also need to be proficient in setting up their personal access to the fileserver.

Over time, additional materials will be uploaded, so researchers will want to check in from time to time to see if anything new has been added. Major additions will be posted to the Message Board.

If you have scanned 78th division related documents and would like to contribute them, please contact me. There are several different ways I can work with you to manage the upload, be it direct access where you upload from a CD or PC hard drive, or by sending me a CD with the files.

There will also be an article in the coming April Flash concerning the website.

Webmaster

gregf@pon.net

Your location (optional): Santa Rosa, CA (birth and burial place of Robert Ripley, "Believe it or Not")

Email  
Re: Advanced Research documents now available

Six additional back issues of the Flash have been uploaded tonight. These run 16-30 megabytes each, much better compression than our first test:

VOLUME XCIX JULY 1999.pdf "The Margarten Cemetary"
VOLUME MM JULY 2000.pdf "Where a 311th MIA Lie Since Dec 13, 1944"
VOLUME MMII APRIL 2002.pdf "Living with a German Family during Occupation"
VOLUME MMV JULY 2005.pdf "May Battlefield Tour - Read All About It"
VOLUME MMV OCTOBER 2005.pdf "The North/East Gathering with the 78th WWII Living History Unit Stories and Pictures"
VOLUME XCIX April 1999.pdf "78th - Some of Bill Mauldin's 1945 Book"

Already existing there

Flash-April-2005.pdf (75MB) "60th Anniversary of Bridge Crossing"
The Flash - March 6, 1919.pdf (600 KB) "Early Post WW1 Flash"

Again, you gotta know what you are doing with computers to use the Advanced Research Section and download them first BEFORE you view them.

Web

Additional Advanced Research documents uploaded

Latest additions and changes:

*Uploaded 309th Unit History - "DIEHARD History of the 309th Infantry Regiment"

*Uploaded July 2004 Flash

*Uploaded example IDPF file

*Combined C/309 morning reports into one PDF file

*Uploaded NARA forms and other NARA info in Morning Report folder

*Combined pages of KIA's from Men of Diehard (309th) into a single PDF file. As soon as I get time, I will scan the entire book and upload.

*Uploaded index of Flash editions currently available http://www.78thdivision.org/flashindex.pdf - this link also added to Advanced Research section. It shows the cover page of each Flash. Though not a complete index, it gives you an idea of the major stories in that edition.

310th AAR just added

Please give your thanks to Ralf Anton Schäfer for provding us with a scanned PDF file of the 310th After Action Report for the initial period of March and April 1945.

As time permits, he will add more months to the PDF file, but this will sure as heck get us started for the 310th.

I have uploaded it to the Xdrive under our Advanced Research Section. It is under the folder labeled "310th Regiment".

Over and out.

Web

Men of Diehard - 309th Infantry Regiment 1944-1945 Uploaded

All 59 megabytes uploaded tonight after several hours of scanning and compiling in Adobe Acrobat. "Men of Diehard 309 Infantry Regiment" is a roster by state of all 309th men during this period, with their home addresses, Company in the 309th and rank. An invaluable resource to families doing research on their veterans of the 309th.

Good night.

Web

309TH INFANTRY REGIMENT WW 2 ADDRESS BOOK

For those who don't want to pay eBay prices but want a copy of the 309TH INFANTRY REGIMENT WW 2 ADDRESS BOOK, it is available through our XDRIVE. See posting just above this one in this thread or go to the Advanced Research Section under RESEARCH for instructions.

You are on your own to gain access to the Xdrive and download it, but it can be done if you have high speed internet connection and follow the instructions there, and are brave.

Web

Combat Journal 311 Regiment and 78th Division History uploaded to Advanced Research XDrive

The following was uploaded to the Xdrive today (and in fact is still in process, many many megabytes of files).

1) The 311th Combat Journal (I will create a page ordered version in about another week).

2) 78th Division History

Details:

PDF document titled: Combat Journal final (this contains the original 31lth Combat Journal scanned "numbered pages" in the order used in the binding process). This file is 221.6 MB in size.

PDF document titled: Maps final (this contains the original 31lth Combat Journal scanned color insert map pages used in the binding process). This file is 50.5 MB in size.

PDF file titled: 311th CJ page order (this is a reference tool showing the page order in the original book). Small file.

PDF File Titled: 311th CJ book bindery information (this has the contact information for the bindery Mike used in reproducing the book). Small file.

PDF document titled: 78th Division History (this contains the 2000 reprint of the 1947 book "The History of the 78th Infantry Division"). This PDF is quite large (409.3 MB).

The 31lth Combat Journal PDF files are in two parts, with the first containing the text pages and the second the large foldout maps. While the imaged pages are in the order used in the binding process (meaning they are not in numeric page order), they can be printed on 8.5 X 11 paper (1 1 X 17 for the two large foldout maps), and then placed in page order. When printing from the existing document, use the print preview screen to help position the page.

You will first print one side of the book (i.e., the even pages in the order used in the binding process, then rotate the image 180 degrees to print the other side of the book. After that, it's a matter of placing the pages and map inserts in the correct order. The page order PDF file contains a list showing the proper page order, which helps in assembling the book.

The bindery information document provides direction for anyone looking to get a high quality reproduction of the Combat Journal. The reproduction is virtually identical to the original - down to the cover material with inlayed title and insignia.

------------------------------------------------------

XDrive now owned by AOL:

Also, anyone who accessed and setup a password in the past to the XDrive, you will need to redo your password.

Call their support number if you get stuck.
===============================================================
Dear Xdrive Customer:

We would like to inform you of some upcoming changes to your Xdrive Service. Please review this letter carefully - it contains easy steps for updating your Xdrive password and information regarding changes to our Terms of Services and Privacy Policy.

Password Update
In an effort to improve our customer service, AOL LLC will begin providing billing and registration services on behalf of Xdrive LLC starting on or about March 5, 2007. As a security precaution for you, we will not transfer your password, which means that you will need to set up a new one. To set up a new password, follow these steps the next time you log into the Xdrive service and receive an error message:
Click on the link that says: "I forgot my password".
Follow the steps to reset your password.
Set up an Account Security Question for your added protection.

Terms of Services and Privacy Policy Changes
We have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. These changes will go into effect on March 5, 2007. Click here (www.xdrive.com/faq/tos.jsp) to learn more about the revisions. You should also read the full text of the Terms of Service at xdrive.com/terms.jsp and the Privacy Policy at xdrive.com/privacy.jsp. Your continued use of the Xdrive service after the effective date will signify your acceptance of the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

We thank you for your continued use of the Xdrive service and value you as a customer. If you have any questions about these changes, please contact our customer support team at 1-866-GO XDRIVE.

Sincerely,
The Xdrive Team
=================================================================

Web

Additions: 78th Division Video, 903rd FA Battalion Unit History, 311th CJ in page order

Recent additions:

311th Folder:

311th Combat Journal in page order.pdf

903Rd Folder:

903rd Field Artillery Unit History Book I-V and AA report.

78th Division Lightning Strikes Twice Video

78th Division History Video (LARGE FILE SIZE!)

Please enjoy and appreciate these wonderful additions.

Web

Updated Instructions to Access XDrive

Please refer to the Advanced Research Section for latest instructions to access the Xdrive. If you do not already have an AOL account, you will need to set one up. It is free.

For a PDF version of the instructions, CLICK HERE

303rd CEB Roster Uploaded to XDrive

A scanned roster of the 303rd Combat Engineer Battalion in WW2 has been uploaded to the XDrive.

Many thanks to Lee Juana for this valuable and rare contribution, now available to anyone with internet access. File size is about 2 MB, in Adobe PDF readable format.

Web

New Advanced Research documents uploaded

Documenting Recently added contributions:

** Two Additional 78th Division Monographs with an Index. All current Monographs listed below, courtesy of George MacKnight**

> Operations of the 2nd Battalion, 309th Infantry, and the 2nd Battalion, 310th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) in the attack on Kesternich, Germany, 14-15 December 1944 (Rhineland Campaign) by  Kemman, Lawrence LTC

> Operations of the 2nd Bn, 310th Inf (78th Inf Div) in the attack to capture Kesternich, 14-16 Dec 44. (Rhineland campaign); by MAJ Niram L. Sauls.

> Opns of the 2d Bn, 309th Inf (78th Inf Div) at Kesternich, Germany, 13-16 Dec 44. (Rhineland campaign); by CPT John N. Schoming.

> Operations of the 310th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) in the attack on Rollesbroich, North of Malmedy, 13-16 December 1944 (Rhineland Campaign) by  Cahill, Harold E. CPT

> Operations of the 2nd Battalion, 311th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) in the attack on Kesternich, Germany, 30 January-1 February 1945 (Rhineland Campaign) /by  Barner, John, H., CPT

> Operations of the 1st Battalion, 309th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) in the attack on the Schwammenauel Dam, southeast of Schmidt, Germany, 9-10 Feb 1945 (Rhineland campaign) by  Bigart, Robert, J., CPT

> Operations of the 1st Battalion, 310th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) i the Crossing of the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen, Germany, and the Expansion of the Bridgehead, 7-17 March 1945 (Rhineland Campaign) by 1LT Edwin M. Freakley.

> Opns of the 311th Inf Regt (78th Inf Div) in the Remagen Bridgehead area, 8-20 March 45. (Rhineland campaign); by MAJ George E. Hudson

> Opns of the 78th Inf Div in the Remagen Bridgehead area, 8-20 Mar 45. (Rhineland campaign); by MAJ Henry W. Meinecke.

303rd Combat Engineering Battalion Unit History - (Complete Book @ 53MB courtesy of Lee Shawver)

Dear Greg,

unfortunaly I can not find the following Documents in X-Drive...:

> Operations of the 1st Battalion, 309th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) in the attack on the Schwammenauel Dam, southeast of Schmidt, Germany, 9-10 Feb 1945 (Rhineland campaign) by Bigart, Robert, J., CPT

> Operations of the 1st Battalion, 310th Infantry (78th Infantry Division) i the Crossing of the Ludendorff Bridge at Remagen, Germany, and the Expansion of the Bridgehead, 7-17 March 1945 (Rhineland Campaign) by 1LT Edwin M. Freakley.

> Opns of the 311th Inf Regt (78th Inf Div) in the Remagen Bridgehead area, 8-20 March 45. (Rhineland campaign); by MAJ George E. Hudson

> Opns of the 78th Inf Div in the Remagen Bridgehead area, 8-20 Mar 45. (Rhineland campaign); by MAJ Henry W. Meinecke.

Is there something wrong with it?

Would be very appreciated to receive again Help from you.

Best Regards sends

Ralf Anton Schäfer

Your location (optional): Germany

Advised by Mr. MacKnight (he provided the uploaded content)

"Those documents are not on the XDrive. I copied all the Monographs I had up to the XDrive along with a MS Word document that listed of all the available Monographs. Just because they were on that list does not mean that they are on the XDrive [at least yet]. They simply aren't there.[hopefully some day]"

Ralf - hope this explains this for you. - Web

Thanks a lot for your Advise!

So, lets wait a while...

Best Regards from Morsbach...

...the place of the 78th Command Post on 9th April 1945, fall in hand of "K" Co of 310th Inf. Regt.

Ralf Anton Schäfer

Your location (optional): Germany

Reminder about Advanced Research documents now available

Wanted to remind everyone, that the AOL X-drive ceased to exist January last year 2009.

Some but not all the files that were located on the X-drive were moved to our website drive which is maintained by Pacific On-Line (www.pon.net)

You can go to our LINKS section of this website, and the 5th link from the top is one which reads "78th Division Veterans Association (formerly on AOL "X-Drive") Maps, Unit Histories, Documents Section for download". CLICK this link to find the files that remain.

The URL path is also noted below, and you can click it from this message board post to go directly to that section.

http://www.78thdivision.org/X-Drive-files.htm

Regards,

Web

Your location (optional): California

Email  
Re: Reminder about Advanced Research documents now available

I was browsing the Message Board tonight to see which posts have had the most views. This thread happens to be one of them with over 6,900 views since the first original post.

What I was delighted to find out was that this page still exists, though it needs a link from the main page.

http://www.78thdivision.org/X-Drive-files.htm

The links from that page appear to still work. You can thank our Webmasters for the fine work they did to preserve this website.

All the best,

Greg

Browsing some more tonight and discovered our webmasters saved the old RESEARCH section (needs a link from Main Page)! Could not believe it is still there, intact! Bravo!

This page is filled with an invaluable bibliography for families and researchers of the 78th Division during WWI and WWII

Click here http://www.78thdivision.org/research.htm

Best all and thank you webmasters!

Greg
(retired webmaster)

Hi Greg:

I am desperately trying to research my dad's service in the 311th Infantry in the Battle of the Bulge. Our family is planning a trip to Belgium this coming spring as a way of honoring my dad and his best friend who was KIA and is buried in the military cemetery in Henri Chapelle. I am trying to locate the following publications:

311th INFANTRY REGIMENT

** A History of the 311th Timberwolf Infantry Regiment: First Across the Rhine. n.p., 1945. 23 p. #603-311.1945/2.

** Lipsius, Major Joseph, ed., Combat Journal: The Story of the Timberwolf Regiment of the 78th Lightning Division in World War II, 1944-1945. Fulda, Germany: Parzeller, 1945. 142 p. #603-311.1945/2.

Do you know where I might find this on-line, on a CD disc, or on paper? I would be most willing to pay a fee to obtain this.

Can you respond to my email address: hmischel1@aol.com

Many thanks, Howie

Email  
311th Files

The only 311th documents available thru this website are found at the link I provided above in earlier post, http://www.78thdivision.org/X-Drive-files.htm

Other 311th books can sometimes be found on eBay or used booksellers, especially ones who specialize in military histories.

This is what you will find at the URL above

311th Infantry

311th Combat_Journal.pdf - 214 MB

311th Infantry Newspapers (contributed by associate James Cooper - incredible amount of effort)

Newspaper 311th May 11, 1945.pdf

Newspaper 311th May 1945 Murchison.pdf

Newspaper 311th May 26, 1945 2nd BN Wolfcub.pdf

311th June 1, 1945.pdf

311th June 9, 1945.pdf

311th June 16, 1945.pdf

311th July 4, 1945.pdf

311th July 4, 1945 roster insert.pdf

311th July 8, 1945.pdf

311th Aug 4, 1945.pdf

311th August 18, 1945.pdf

311th Aug 25, 1945.pdf

311th Sept. 1, 1945.pdf

311th Sept. 14, 1945.pdf

311th Sept 22, 1945.pdf

311th Sept 29, 1945.pdf

311th Oct 6, 1945.pdf

311th Oct 13, 1945.pdf

311th Oct 20, 1945.pdf

311th Oct 27, 1945.pdf

311th Dec 17, 1945 only have two pages.pdf

Hope this helps!

Greg

Re: 311th Files

Greg:
Thanks so much for your rapid reply. I had gone through that list you provided a while ago. The main document we are interested in is:

311th Combat_Journal.pdf - 214 MB

We have tried downloading it several times, including with help of some people who are computer technicians. They have concluded that the link is not working correctly. We have gotten as far as actually downloading it into a file, however, it will not open. Weget an error message stating that there is a technical flaw with it.

Any thoughts on how else I might connect to it?

Howie

Email  

Howie,

I test downloaded that file and as you stated, it somehow got corrupted during the website transfer.

I have the original, and a others that go with it. One is in a format that allows you to actually re-create the book form, and another file containing the high res maps. Lot's of megabytes.

If you have somewhere I can upload them, I can put them all there for you to grab and download. The file sizes may be too much for the website filespace allowances (Webmaster would know), but even there I have to get the file to the webmaster.

The other option is send me a USB thumbdrive and I will copy everything I have to it and send it back to you. I will email you my address.

The good news is I have the files and they are functional.

Greg

Email  
Re: 303rd CEB Roster Uploaded to XDrive

Quote: Webmaster

A scanned roster of the 303rd Combat Engineer Battalion in WW2 has been uploaded to the XDrive.

Many thanks to Lee Juana for this valuable and rare contribution, now available to anyone with internet access. File size is about 2 MB, in Adobe PDF readable format.

Web

How do I get a copy of this roster for the 303rd CEB?

Email  

Ken, I sent you the files using WeTransfer (https://www.wetransfer.com/howitworks), which includes Unit History WW2, rosters from WW1 and WW2...about 60 MB in all. The webmaster has all the files which used to be on the Xdrive way back when. I don't know if there are plans to put all those files for public access somewhere.

Hope these are what you needed.

Best always,

Greg

Your email account bounced, so here is the temporary link to go to for downloading. I think anyone can use this.

http://we.tl/K9cp98PoVt

It lasts for about 2-3 days so you'll want to download them right away.

Greg

Goodday,

I have sent you an email woth the same request. Is there a way you can provide the journals through wetransfer?

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Counters & Site Stats   Free Blogs   Email Forms   Free Web Tools