Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

Forum: The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
78th Lightning Division Ring

My Dad passed away about two and half years ago, he never talked much about his service, but when I was growing I saw a ring, in gold that had a bridge on one side and a dam on the other, the front of the ring has on top a lightening bolt and under that is 78th, the only marking it has is 10k, no maker, my fathers estate was a true mess and just this 4th of July weekend my son was given the ring which was spelled out to go to him in the will, but there was problems. he is an art student and takes metal smithing and he plans on making copies for all his aunts and uncles, his dad, me and some of my fathers greta grand children, we would like to know anything about it, has anyone seen on before, it is worn by son all the time, it means a great deal to him thanks.

Your location (optional): Goffstown New Hampshire

Email  
Re: 78th Lightning Division Ring

Carroll,
I have not heard of the unit having a ring made on the actions of thier service. It sounds so wonderful. Could your father have had it crafted himself to reflect his WWII service?
Your son is very lucky to have it.
Connie Murdock

Your location (optional): Ohio

Email  

Hi!

The ring is not unique, but I cannot tell you who received such a ring, maybe only officers of the 78th, but I don´t know for sure. The ring displays the two major battles of the 78th: the battle for the Schwammenauel Dam in the Hurtgen Forest and the battle for the Remagen Bridge and here especially the battle to enlarge the bridgehead on the east side of the Rhine.
Hope this helps a bit!

Bye

Ralf Klodt
Germany

Email  

Thank you so much for your reply. Was the ring given to them from the German people? My father was Platoon Sargent of the 309th Co A. I don't think he qualified for that. I would love to see a picture of it.
Connie Murdock

Email  

Hi Carroll,

If you can email a digital photo or snail mail me a photo of the ring, I will post it on the website, so all may see.

I did see one of these on eBay a few years ago and wished I had saved its photos.

Thanks for posting on our message board!

Web

Email  

> Was the ring given to them from the German people?

No, this ring was given by the US Army.

Email  

%%bbCodeItem_1%%
%%bbCodeItem_2%%
%%bbCodeItem_3%%

Your location (optional): Portland Maine

Email  

ok! Hi!
i am the lucky grandson that got the ring! i am posting some pictures, maybe people will remember seeing this ring. let me know if anyone has or knows more about this ring!!!!!
thanks
carroll

Your location (optional): Portland Maine

Email  

Beautiful!

Email  

my dad was a pfc during the war & a sargent during the occupation. he had one of these rings. after much pleading he allowed me to wear it to school one day when i was about 10 yrs. old. unfortunately i lost the ring during a snowball fight,something i still feel bad about to this day.Dad was in the 309th I co.

Your location (optional): phila. pa

Email  

I have the same ring, left to me by my father. His name was William Shelby Chenault Jr, from Hanover VA. He was in co. A 309 Inf.

Your location (optional): VA

Email  

Does anyone know why just certain soldiers seemed to get the ring? My father earned the silver star and was a sargent during his time in Germany. He never mentioned a ring like this. Was it given for service they did?

Email  

My father also has one of those rings left to him by his father Luther Brown who was in the 78th in WWII.

Your location (optional): San Diego, CA

Email  

I have the Ring that was on ebay a couple years ago,
My Dad was in E co. 310th. Just guessing, but it sounds
like the 309th might have been the recipients of the
Rings, or had them made? Ron Lorenz

Your location (optional): Central Ca.

Email  

My grandfather, Arthur Letherwood, who was a Srgt. in the 78th, he had this ring you're talking about, with the the 78th and a lighting bolt on the top, also a "bridge" on the side. I'm interested in speaking to anyone who knew him. He passed away in 1993, he was the greatest man I ever knew. I'm his grandaughter.

Jan Owen

Your location (optional): Oak Ridge, TN

Email  

I have my father's ring and wear it proudly.

Your location (optional): Ridgeland SC

My grandfather Bill Catrabone was in the 78th, unsure what company, but he had the gold Remagen Bridge ring. I looked at it many times growing up and always thought it was very interesting. Gramp never wore it, but he kept it in a safe place and really never let it get out of his sight. I was too young to "interview" him properly back then regarding the war. He unfortunately died young in 1987 and my grandma sold the ring (without anyone's knowledge) to help pay bills. I have been searching for it since then with no luck. I'm also still searching for any of his wartime friends. I have some pictures of guys from the unit on leave in Davos, Switzerland. Pretty interesting stuff!

Your location (optional): Erie, PA

Email  

My father, Roy A. Alcorn had this ring having served with the 78 th during WW II. He wore it daily until his death in an auto accident in 1973. Although I was young when he died, I would often ask him about his ring, military service, and the large scar on his shoulder he received during battle on February 14, 1945 near the village of Schmidt. As I remember, he said that he bought the ring as a remembrance. He said that there was a German craftsman by some area they were stationed that was making the rings and selling them to the soldiers. Not an award, just a souvenir.

Your location (optional): Charlottesville, VA

Email  

The last reply explains a lot to me. I had wondered if the soldiers were awarded the rings or if they had to purchase them. My father George Hardesty of the 78th Co A would have been way too frugal to purchase one and that explains why he didn't appear to have the ring. Sure wish he had, the ring is so beautiful!

Your location (optional): Pataskala, Ohio

Email  

I have the very same ring and am trying to find out more about it. I think it belonged to my father who is now deceased. He served in the Army and the Navy but I really don't know much more. Since I have been looking into the ring further I have found possibly the ring could have been from WW1. This coiled be my grandfather's ring. I would like to find a way to find out about bot hog their service. Can anyone lead me in the direction where I find out?

Your location (optional): North Carolina

My father was in The Battle of the Bulge with the 78th Lightning Divison he had the same ring and did another man at our local club (not Veterans club).

Just before he passed in 1989, he gave me the ring.
Unfortunately it was lost in a move, or stolen from storage?

He never said much about the war either.
There is also a book on the battle with the 78th insignia on the front, cover dark black or dark blue, also lost in the move. They gave him and the map of that Battle of the Bulge which I framed and donated to the local VFW Club along with his photo in uniform.

Really breaks my heart that the ring was lost.

Phil
Lorain, Ohio

Your location (optional): Lorain, Ohio

Email  

My grandfather Sgt. James Howard Campbell 312 inf. WWI, had that ring.
When he passed away in 1974, my father had a jeweler grind down the top and had his initials engraved.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com