Return to Website

The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board

***** ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE JUNE FLASH******

THE 78TH DIVISION VETERANS ASSOCIATION  IS  IN THE PROCESS OF DISSOLUTION BUT THE WEBSITE WILL CONTINUE !!!

See details under recent posts

Forum: The 78th Division Veterans Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 

Author
Comment
Great Uncle - Sergeant in the 78th Division - Company C - 311 Infantry Regiment

Is there any way to find out additional information on my Great Uncle? Sergeant Wallace J. Jarosz 78th Division - Company C - 311 Infantry Regiment. His shadow box tells a story which is something that is worth preserving for future generations. Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, etc. I have some photos and a copy of his Silver Star paperwork. He passed in 1994 and I still think about him all the time. What an unbelievable figure to know growing up.

Alan

Your location (optional): Michigan

Email  
Re: Great Uncle - Sergeant in the 78th Division - Company C - 311 Infantry Regiment

Still wondering if there is any information out there on my Great Uncle or additional information on company 'C'....

Alan

Email  
Re: Great Uncle - Sergeant in the 78th Division - Company C - 311 Infantry Regiment

I have noticed in an issue of the Flash dated June 1992 there is a group photo on page 40 of C Company. Is there any way to get a copy of this photo?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Alan

Email  

Hi Alan,

There is a 214MB pdf file you can download of the 311th Combat Journal.

Go here http://www.78thdivision.org/X-Drive-files.htm, then scroll down to 311th Infantry, right click the link and select "Save Target as".

This should help in your research. The panorama may be in that book. I don't know if anyone else has a copy of single image pano. Maybe they'll contact you through the Message Board.

Good luck!

Web

Does anyone have a copy of or know where I can find one:

Combat Journal; The Story of the Timberwolf Regiment (311) of the 78th Lightning Division in World War II 1944-1945 [Hardcover]

I hear it has a listing of silver and bronze star recipients.

Thanks,

Alan

Email  

Alan,

A copy is available right here on this website under the research section. download your copy at this link:

http://www.78thdivision.org/X-Drive-files.htm

Your location (optional): Ohio

Email  

James,

I can't thank you enough for providing me this link. I remember my Great Uncle vividly telling me parts of the story when he swam the Roer River on February 3rd, 1945...and then attacking the town of Dedenborn. This book should provide additional insight to his war experiences and is invaluable to me to pass down in my family.

Thanks again,

Alan

Hi Alan-My father was in World War II-And I do have a photo of about 60-70 men seated on bleachers I guess, of the troop Company C 311, at a studio by "Lennie". It is long and I am unable to scan or copy it. If you think it would be helpful, I can take a photo to download and maybe you could enlarge it??? Let me know...........

Laura,

Scan the company picture, at 300 dpi, in segments overlapping each one. Then merge them together in your photo program to re-create the entire picture. This will provide a digital copy you can email.

Don't forget to send a copy to this sites photo section.

If you need help, let me know and I can photo shop them for you.

Your location (optional): Ohio

Email  

Hi Laura,

Did you ever have a chance to 'take a photo of the photo'? Don't hesitate to drop me an e-mail as I'm still very interested in acquiring any information I can about my Great Uncle...

Alan

Email  

I will ask my Great Uncle if he knows him he was in the 311th also. Staff Sgt. Allen Baker

Email  

It has been great to see some people out there archiving all of this great material. My Poppa Delcy R. Merritt was a PVC (Field Sargent) in the 78th Lightening 311th C Company. And if you have a picture as you say I would be extremely interested in getting a snapshot of it. If possible could you please send me a photo of the photo? You may reply to my email address. wmerritt76@gmail.com

Your location (optional): Louisiana

Email  
307th field artillery battery b

hello my name is mike coxie. I recently bought a pistol. ( p38 ) captured by cpl charles e. lenau from the 307th field artillery battery b. I was hoping that someone can give me a little info on this unit and battery. Im looking for their contributions as far as the battle of the bulge, battle of remagen and the ruhr pocket. please forgive me if i misspelled the pocket name. any help would be humbly appreciated. you can reach me at whitelighter_leo2003@yahoo.com. thank you so kindly in advance.

Michael Coxie

Your location (optional): north carolina

Email  

Laura - did you ever have a chance to snap this picture?

Email  

I have a copy of the 311 Combat Journal from WW 2. I would like to sell it. I'm not sure what it is worth, can you make me an offer? Thanks, John Cook

Your location (optional): Johnstown Ny 12095

Email  

Hi Alan,

My grandfather, John Duffy, was also in the 311th Infantry Regiment, Company C. He has the same medals that you mention your great-uncle had, but we didn't have stories about them beyond his military paperwork (he died in 1983). I was going through his WWII address book a few months ago and found five guys from Company C on the same page in his address book. The first one listed is your great-uncle at 12003 Elmdale in Detroit. I wonder if they knew each other well because my grandfather also grew up in Detroit (St. Cecelia's High School). At any rate, one of the other men on that page died last month at age 94 and I now know the main battles that the company fought in. Feel free to email me at irishboy74@hotmail.com and we can take this offline. Good to find your interest in this topic, too!

Brendon

Your location (optional): Minnesota

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com