Rust - Roest

Here you can ask and tell tings related to this website. ------------------- Hier kun je dingen vragen en vertellen die met deze website te maken hebben.
Rust - Roest
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hot bulb stationary engines

Can anybody give me a lesson (or point to an article) on exactly what a hot bulb engine is? I am new to stationary engines, but very competent on cars/ electro-mechanical/electronics.

Thankyou

peter

(I would be happy for written answers in French and possibly German)

Re: Hot bulb stationary engines

Hi Peter,

A hotbulb engine is an early diesel engine.
You heat the bulb and the diesel is injected in the head towards the pre heated bulb (plate) and so will ignite through the heat.
In the early days they couldn't really reach the high compression of the internal combustion chamber and the high presure of the injector in order to start an engine and keep it working. They pre heated a bulb or plate and some engines needed constant fire beneath the bulb when they didn't work hard.
Others would keep themselves warm enough while working so they didn't need the constant flame.
Often this are two stroke engines and the compression lies in the middel between the Gas or petrol engine and the full diesel engine.

Re: Re: Hot bulb stationary engines

Een gloeikop motor is een vroege diesel motor.
Je verhit de kop en de diesel wordt in de kop naar de gloeikop of plaat toe geinjecteerd en zal door de hitte ontsteken.
Vroeger kon men eigenlijk niet de compressie in de verbrandings kamer krijgen die hoog genoeg was en ook niet de hoge druk van de injectors die nodig zijn om een dieselmotor te starten en aan de gang te houden. Ze werkten dus met een voorverwarmde kop of plaat en sommige motoren moesten ook constant een vuur op de gloeikop of gloeiplaat hebben als ze niet hard werkten.
Andere motoren hielden zich warm als ze flink moesten werken dus die hadden die constante vlam niet nodig.
Men noemt hem ook wel middeldrukmotor of half diesel, de compressie ligt tussen een benzine motor en een diesel motor. Vaak zijn het tweetakt motoren,
is dit duidelijk genoeg?
Vriendelijke groeten van Jeanne

Re: Re: Hot bulb stationary engines

Thank you for the reply. Things have moved on, the engine I have is a Japy Frere 0.5 hp? Alcohol run hot tube engine 10E about 1905?. It appears in remarkable condition. Nothing is seized (other than inlet valve, which I freed up). Any experts there with detailed knowledge please contact me, as I will be in need of some help to get it running.

Thanks peter.