The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo Likes The Nightlife

ITV1, UK premiered this edition Aug 18, 1200-1320.

An absolute thrill to see Peter Falk in this 2003 edition for the first time (he was also in the remake of The Sunshine Boys with Woody Allen later in the day).

As, is seems likely, this was the final episode... I hope that Peter will return again in the near future.

Re: Columbo Likes The Nightlife

The only criticism that I have for the presentation of the episode is where the idiots presenting the edition censored the closing titles... by reducing the closing credits, introducing two preview windows, and talking over the end music.

Re: Re: Columbo Likes The Nightlife

I'll say it again - apart from the bathroom stuff (which has been discussed a lot here), the one thing I hate about that one is the handcuffs at the end. HANDCUFFS in a COLUMBO episode? - that's practically a "textbook case" of a SORE THUMB! But apart from those things, I liked it, and it was great that John Finnegan played a small part in it.

Re: Re: Re: Columbo Likes The Nightlife

this is a good episode

i believe it will be on BIOGRAPHY TV this saturday at 2 pm - aug 25

check schedule on BIO.TV

I happen to know of an unproduced "Columbo" script that ends with Columbo personally putting the handcuffs on the killer -- somebody who (in that script) had repeatedly mocked Columbo as overaged and over-the-hill. And it's a good script -- in that context, it made perfect sense for Columbo to make this previously unseen and uncharacteristic move.

I suspect that CLTN either borrowed this idea (from the script I mention, which the studio did purchase), or had the similar sense that as Columbo moves into another generation, it seems right for him to assert, in this symbolic way, that the supposed old fart is really way more in charge than the criminal punks have assumed.

Bugger bugger bugger. I had no idea this was on. Did anyone record it to DVD who would make a copy for me? (Or I can copy it myself if you're willing to let me borrow the original...)

Just Saw Columbo Likes The Nightlife

I can't say enough of how much I enjoyed it. This was very well done. The mouth wash and the toenails had me laughing right out loud. And the entire episode was perfect from start to finish.

Columbo didn't smoke in this episode, normally caving in to modern influences would ruin it for me, but Peter just went right through without smoking and it wasn't even noticeable at all. It didn't take away from the episode in anyway.

This was a perfect example of Columbo doing his same old job in the year 2003. I'm so glad to have this show to enjoy. We are all very lucky this kind of entertainment has made it through Hollywood, cause there sure isn't anything else like it coming out of that place.

A very heavy case of nit-picking follows - forgive me.

It may have been the terrestrial premier but it wasnt the UK premier as Sky showed it a long time ago on one of their movie channels at 8pm. I remember watching it as it was a big deal for me.

Not a bad episode but nothing spectacular, not happy that i forgot it was on again tho as it would have been good to see it again.

God bless,

Matthew

I loved the final clue in this episode. It made up for the jarring spectacle of Columbo fishing in a toilet.

There is certainly something for everyone with Columbo. I had a great time with Columbo and the mouth wash and looking for toe nails, for me it was great fun, I was laughing out loud. I understand it's crude to some but was very funny for me.

This episode was very well done, it was a the real Columbo in 2003 the same old guy we always knew and loved, just later in his career.

I wondered for most of the show why Vanessa couldn't call the police....then that question was answered. John Finnegan as himself was just hilarious. And knowing Columbo and all of his experience it was fun to watch him working against the young guy.

Also Vanessa was an amazing actress. Jennifer Sky should be a household name.

Other things to say about this master piece....

I'm sure every Columbo fan saw the landscaping work going on in the the background at Vanessa's house when Columbo went there, and I'm sure we all thought that's where the body was buried, I know I did.

One of the main attractions to Columbo is the interaction between Columbo and the various suspects, and this can only be as good as the actors playing the roles. The cast in this episode was very good, Matthew Rhys and Jennifer Sky were absolutely perfect modern day Columbo suspects.

Watching Peter interact with other actors is always interesting for me, and you can always tell they know they are in the presence of a legend. These two in this episode were just great and you could tell Peter was enjoying the interactions. I have a feeling these two learned a lot about acting from their time with Peter, he brought out the best in them.

Other comparisons of how the cast makes the show were George Wendt who just couldn't shake the "Norm" character off of himself, but Tyne Daly was just epic in her roles especially in a Bird In Hand. Watching her and Peter was just fascinating to me. Tyne was a truly original character she became that person, there must be someone she knows really well who is like Dolores, she had to be imitating someone, and boy did she do it well. All of the underlying and not so underlying humor of that character was classic.

This kind of personal analysis is new to me because I hate Hollywood, and watch very little TV or movies so taking an interest in actors and their talent is something I have never done before.

Until Hollywood loses the Tom Cruise, Whoopie Goldgerg image I'll continue to ignore that place and everything they try to put in my living room.

I'm savoring all of the Peter Falk films I have not yet seen, and that includes The Brinks Job.

Oh....Just one more thing.

I don't know if you've thought about this, but once Tony found out Vanessa was dating Justin his life was over anyway, so he was doomed whether Vanessa accidentally killed Tony or not.

J. Wilton Jones
Oh....Just one more thing.

I don't know if you've thought about this, but once Tony found out Vanessa was dating Justin his life was over anyway, so he was doomed whether Vanessa accidentally killed Tony or not.
This take is very surprising to me (I know it's a 15 years old comment but I only recently came to this forum): why would tony end up being killed, once he found out about vanessa dating justin? Especially with his connections to the mob I don't see why vanessa (who's ofc physically much weaker) or justin would want to make such powerful enemies.