The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
suitable for framing

why didnt the murder victim randy matthews get any kind of billing. who played him? it looks alot like robert shayne, inspector henderson of superman fame but its not listed anywhere.

Re: suitable for framing

uncle randy....uncle rudy.......who am i to quibble??

but it does indeed seem like it might be robert shayne.....

CLICKY

the poor dear didn't get any billing, or for that matter, any lines, but he played a mean piano.

uncle rudy/randy in his younger years.........

CLICKY

You have good instincts because that's EXACTLY who it is. I'd know his "Adventures of Superman" face anywhere, but Shayne was busy filming an episode of "Ironside" at the time, and it could be that he strolled over to the adjacent "Suitable For Framing" set to spare the studio the expense of hiring an extra to do a lousy bit part. That was a common practice in those days, but then, Universal was notorious for inaccurate credits.

For instance, I caught a mighty familiar face playing a truck driver in a 1974 McCloud episode. It wasn't noted in either the episode credits, or mentioned in the IMDb data. He appeared for only a few seconds, but how could any one of us here mistake Mike Lally for anyone else?

Re: Re: suitable for framing

I'm not familiar with Shayne, but that would make sense for another reason. Movies and shows are full of cameos by "big" people that are deliberately left out of the credits (I guess to give it even more of a casual look), so maybe the same thing is done a lot of the time with "character actors." In other words, it might not always be carelessness.

in this episode, the make up artist has a bit part and one line yet is not listed in the credits

on further examination.....looking at pictures of him, some with a mustache like he had as uncle rudy/randy, and checking out the episode again, it is assuredly robert shayne.

good eye robbie. and i thank you because i have always wanted to know who he was. and now i do.

this was the 'original' unveiling of uncle randy/rudy here on this site.

again...nice work robbie..