The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Val Avery, RIP

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/15/theater/15avery.html?_r=1

Re: Val Avery, RIP

Very sad news, rough week for Columbo alumni with Gene Barry passing last week.

Val was a great character actor who will always have a special place in the hearts of Columbo fans.

As CulpAble said, "rough week for Columbo alumni with Gene Barry passing last week".

But 85 and 90 are good ages. It made me think about which Columbo actor lived the longest. I think Eddie Albert holds the record at 99 years of age and it will be interesting to see who is first to reach 100.

Don't get me wrong with my less than sombre post, it's sad to see the passing of Gene Barry and Val Avery but they were amongst a forntunate few. No matter how wealthy, we can't buy long life unless it's in a milk carton.

Eerily, I was just watching the scene during "A Friend in Deed" in which Columbo meets Artie Jessup a few days ago. It is one of my favorite scenes of the series.

Rest in peace, Val Avery. Great job!

ahh..val avery. i've really enjoyed his performances throughout the years. not only on columbo, but from cassavetes' movies, and also on 'johnny staccato'...he always rang true for me. no nonsense..he was just the character.

joe, the article you posted was a wonderful homage to him, and i enjoyed reading it.
i think my favourite part was at the end when they talked about val and cassavetes and peter and gazzara hanging out at that place in greenwich village...man, i would have loved to have been at their table.

rest in peace val...and thanks so much.

oh, wow. rip, indeed! he played one of my favorite minor characters in all of columbo. his performance, amplified by gazzara's understated but masterful direction in that incredible bar, evoked a whole seedy underworld of working class schlubs working the wrong side of the law...

Sad news. Watched him only last night in "A Friend in Deed" and was thinking how terrific he was.

May he rest in peace.

RIP VAL AVERY

Very Sad new iN DEED

Val had quite an interestng career. I mean, how many actors were in both "The Magnificent Seven" and "Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke"?

He was one of several "Columbo" players who shared Peter Falk's connection with appearing in John Cassavetes movies. And he was certainly a great example of how "Columbo" was made so much better by the care put into the casting of the secondary roles. He will be missed.