The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: One unwatched Columbo left...

Scott Gordon
I think a better idea is to make a big deal of it, sparing no expense.

What a splendid idea - which wine was it Columbo was especially taken with when he was at the Carsini vineyard?
I suppose it would have to be a red wine to go with the chilli

Unfortunately, I think all of the wines mentioned in the Carsini episode are fictional. So you'll just have to choose a really nice Chianti or Barolo :)

Then cook some fancy seasoned beef, so that someone can look at it and say: "is that beef? I think that's beef."

Scott Gordon
Unfortunately, I think all of the wines mentioned in the Carsini episode are fictional. So you'll just have to choose a really nice Chianti or Barolo :)

sorry scott, that's really not true. take it from a wino.

all the wines mentioned in the episode are actual wines...they exist.

from the 'superb claret', breathing' in carsini's office at the beginning..to the 'chateau' that was served before the auction, and then on to adrian's office with his first meeting with columbo where they shared a cabernet sauvignon.

and when adrian carsini was testing columbo as to his newly acquired knowledge, columbo suggests a pino nior, or a gamay.

there is also mentions of zinfandel, (my favourite), and also farrier's vintage port--'45.
and we can't forget the 'liquid filth'..the port that was served at the end of the dinner.

and then the sweet moment of carsini and columbo in the car at the end where they share a beloved dessert wine..Montefiascone....a perfect choice!

believe me, these are all actual, real-life wines.

I agree with cassavetes45 that all the wines mentioned in the episode do exist. Except Montefiascone (aka Est Est Est!) is NOT a dessert wine. It's a fairly inexpensive, dry white. Perhaps they got this mixed up with something else, like Vin Santo.

est! est!! est!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Est!_Est!!_Est!!!_di_Montefiascone

Steve
This sounds silly (or sad?) but the one Columbo I have yet to watch is "A Friend In Deed".
Always wanted to keep one "up my sleeve" so to speak.
Now we know for a fact there won't ever be any more, I'm strabgely loathe to actually view this one.
As I say, sounds daft, but as long as I don't watch it, I know there will always be one "new" one for me.....

I can relate to how you feel. You know once you've watched all the episodes, that's it. There's nothing left to look forward to, other than re watching them.

We all have our subjective opinions, but IMO, "A Friend In Deed" is one of my favorite episodes (You just lost your badge, my friend.). I don't think I would have the personal discipline not to watch it. Of course, I realize my mind is influenced because I saw the episode.

I watched Columbo from the show's inception in '71, then again in the '80s when I saw re runs, I think on the Nostaglia Channel. It wasn't until within the last year that I saw the episodes made in the '70s, when I purchased them on DVD. I recall how my adrenaline started to rise when I received my Columbo DVDs in the mail and could hardly wait to start watching them again. And "A Friend In Deed" was on my mind.

Steve Just so you know I was introduced to Columbo with the ABC episodes. When I started to watch the "original" episodes I can tell you that A Friend in Deed is probably one my favorite episodes from the earlier series. I particularly like the actor who played the Commissioner.

I kow just what Steve means about keeping things on a kind of back burner. As I've said before, I might be nearly the only one here who deliberately watches Columbo episodes literally once a year, just to keep the novelty from going out of them (I do that with countless other things too).

when you watch this episode......YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED......it's a classic

My goodness, I have to say, of all the ones to have never seen...I promise when you do watch it you'll say "If only I'd saved 'Last Salute to the Commodore!!'"

you picked a good episode to watch later . A friend in Deed is a classic

e
George, it is actually "PPS" (post post script), not "PSS." I'm not trying to be critical, I just thought maybe you would like to know.

e, thanks for the tip! And I appreciate your explanation that it wasn't to be critical...I must've seen "PSS" somewhere and ran with it ever since. I'm glad that you pointed this out, and I'm glad to know that going forward I will be typing it correctly! :)

You're Welcome, George! When I was younger, I used to write it the "wrong" way too, but I thought it was kinda cool when I learned the "correct" way and the reason why.

An additional note about the post-scripts...

If you would need to include a third post-script, that would be PPPS, a fourth would be PPPPS, and so on, but I suppose by that point maybe it would be time to start over and write a new letter!