The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What episode or film does columbo plan a robbery in...help

HI I remember about 15 or 20 years ago it was probably xmas and I remember watching an episode of columbo although it was more like a flim, where he was planning a robbery I think it was a jewellers I think he may have disguised himself as a little old lady to case the joint out, i never saw the end as someone in the family wanted to watch something else at a certain time so I never found out if columbo had turned to crime or if it was an elaborate plot. can anyone help me out with info on this as I am beginning to wonder if I dreamed it all, I remember discussing it with my dad and we couldnt get over the fact colombo was planning a heist

Re: What episode or film does columbo plan a robbery in...help

It's not a "Columbo", but it is a Peter Falk movie.

"Happy New Year" from 1987. Here's what is written on the IMDB website: "Small time crooksters Nick and Charlie have an elaborate plan to rob an exclusive jewelers store. Using a variety of disguises and posing as rich old men and women they begin the set-up, but then Nick falls for the owner of a neighbouring antique store and things get a little complicated."

Peter Falk played the part of Nick. Charles Durning played the part of Charlie.

Here's the video cover. That's Peter Falk in all three pictures, including as the old woman on the right.

Photobucket

One episode of "Columbo" that comes close to Columbo being on the wrong side of the law, is "Columbo: Undercover" (1994). In that one, he goes undercover as a small time hood and a mobster. But no old lady. Of course, it's all in the line of duty, so he's still the good Columbo we all know and love.

thanks for the info, it's been bugging me for years, its a shame it wasn't some sort of elaborate columbo plot, he would have made a great villain with his finely tuned mind hehe, I guess when we saw peter falk we assumed it was columbo, thank for solving the mystery though, hope you have a great festive season, best wishes.....paul

I like that movie! Especially when he dresses up as the lady.

I've only ever seen it in a very sketchy way, but there's a Peter Falk movie called "Penelope" with Natalie Wood that has HER in a little old lady disguise, so that MIGHT have also confused Paul, I'm not sure.

as peter recounts in his wonderful book, 'just one more thing', he was having dinner with elaine may, and he was talking about his mother. elaine told him that he does such a great impression of his mother that he should do 'her' in a movie some time.

peter decided to do just that in the movie 'happy new year'.
he goes on to talk about how much he really enjoyed playing her....
"if you get a chance, see the picture. it's worth a look. i want you to see me playing my mother."

For some reason I am completely bored by drag humor, except when Monty Python does it -- for example, my son wanted to see the Adam Sandler movie, "Jack & Jill" (he's often fooled by a decent trailer), and the only way I could stay awake was by enjoying Al Pacino's bizarre performance. But of course it's always fun to see Peter challenging himself, even though I thought his impersonation of his mother was no more convincing than Adam Sandler.

the only drag performance i ever enjoyed was dustin hoffman's in 'tootsie'. i think he was sensitive to how a woman actually feels. in fact, he later did an interview talking about women, and especially women who weren't considered attractive. he said he really felt for them, and could really understand what they must have to go through. i thought that was sweet.

cassavetes45
the only drag performance i ever enjoyed was dustin hoffman's in 'tootsie'. i think he was sensitive to how a woman actually feels. in fact, he later did an interview talking about women, and especially women who weren't considered attractive. he said he really felt for them, and could really understand what they must have to go through. i thought that was sweet.
That's nice of him. I love that movie!

it's a good one, isn't it, amy. and i loved charles durning in it...he was so sweet and tender.

Peter was also in another movie planning a robbery The Brinks Job,which i haven't seen for ages.

yes, bugs, another good flick that peter was in. and a great supporting cast as well. i haven't seen it in a lot of years also, but hopefully TCM or another station will air it soon.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077275/

The Brinks Job is now out on Blu-Ray and I just saw it yesterday. I had seen it theatrically as a child but a lot of it went over my head a bit.

Much like "The In-Laws" shows us what it might be like if Columbo were an eccentric CIA agent, "Brinks Job" shows us what it might be like if Columbo turned to crime. There is a scene where he cases the Brinks factory with a bag over his head and we hear him methodically noting all the weaknesses in each room that will make it easy to pull off the heist. It could just as easily be Columbo describing a crime scene but in reverse.