The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cassavetes45: Sad News

Aw, no. I completely equate Cassavetes45 with Columbo.

Really very sorry to hear and may the lady with wonderful taste rest in peace. Hopefully she's up there right now chatting with Mr Falk.

oh wow!! sad news indeed!

Hello everyone,
I have been a regular visitor of this website and forum for a long long time (since the late 90's) and this is the first time I post on this forum. With Peter Falk's passing away a year ago, I was tempted for the past few weeks to finally break the silence and share my thoughts with you. But with Carleen's untimely departure, I really felt like I had to say at least a little something. First, all my sympathies go to Carleen's family and friends. If it is sad news for Columbo fans like us who knew Carleen mainly through this forum, I can't even begin to imagine how affected her family and friends who actually shared their lives with her must be.

Like I said previously, although I have never interacted with anyone on this forum, I have been frequently reading your wonderful and inspired comments on the Columbo series and obviously, Cass's comments were always a real delight. I thought I would share the good memories I have from Cass's contribution to this board.

- I will always remember the picture of her Columbo Phile book that she shared on this forum a few years ago and especially how worn out (to say the least) that book was. What was so special about it was that the state of decomposition of her book even led the author of the book, Mark Dawidziak, to be touched by her love for his book and share on this forum (through Ted) how much he appreciated the fact that Columbo fans, especially Carleen, still kept his book as a frequent reference.

- I will also not forget the time when she called on the Talking Television radio show where she talked for a few minutes about her favorite episode, Étude in Black, as well as her favorite actor and Columbo villain, John Cassavetes. It was a good opportunity to finally hear her talk about Columbo instead of writing about it. She was as enthusiastic during that phone call as we had always imagined her to be.

Finally, I will definitely always have a special thought for her each time I will see Étude in Black in the future.

You will be missed cassavetes45...

Lovely thoughts and sentiments Fisher. Tonight I will be watching Etude with a glass a wine and saluting Cass. Love ya girl!

Thank you for sharing this very touching and perfectly apt tribute, Fisher. What a way to break your long-time silence!

Oh wow.

Don't check in much anymore, but always admired Cassa's cheer and good humor. Hardly ever a bad word about anyone.

Too sad.

Deepest condolences to her family.

Going back into the past on this forum, I realized just how much she, in a sense, WAS the forum....at least from an emotional-core type of comparison. Admittedly in the beginning, I was guilty of silently branding her as "one of those", a person who "lives" in chat rooms. Alhtough I never publicized these feelings, I wish so much that I had never had them at all. I realize, now that she is no longer with us, just how much her spirit and love of this show are missed, and I can only imagine how much she is missed in "real" life by her family, friends and loved ones. The vacancy her departure has left in regards to this chat room is truly an example of not knowing what you have until it's gone. I wish I had a chance to converse with her about all-things Columbo. And thanks for putting her picture up, Ted...I think a person can almost see in her eyes that she was a special woman.

Thanks to all who have shared your thoughts, memories and feelings here. I will leave this thread "pinned" to the top of the Forum for another week, as I know we still have visitors discovering the news, people who would want to know what happened even though they don't visit every day. After that, we will announce other plans to memorialize cassa.

Maybe something as simple (yet meaningful) as naming the Fan Forum section of this site after her? "The Cassavetes45 Columbo Fan Forum?" ...and possibly a little picture and some words about her & why the forum takes on her handle? Just thought I'd throw that out there, since this forum clearly meant so much to her.

Great idea, Milo!
It could be nicknamed "Cassa's Corner" or something like that, that would be a little more casual, like Cassa was.

Is it weird that a part of me keeps expecting (hoping?) that Cassa herself will jump into this thread like she always did? It's so hard to get it in my head that she's really not coming back.

Milo Janus Jr.
Maybe something as simple (yet meaningful) as naming the Fan Forum section of this site after her? "The Cassavetes45 Columbo Fan Forum?" ...and possibly a little picture and some words about her & why the forum takes on her handle? Just thought I'd throw that out there, since this forum clearly meant so much to her.

i think that's a great idea,how about a little off topic section that we could call carleen's corner or carleen's internet cafe or something along these lines...this could be a place were columbo fans could "chat " about things other than the show.

Late hearing the news, but very, very sad to hear it.

I am soo soo sorry to hear about the passing away of Cassavetes45 , she was a great Columbo Fan , and we will all miss her deeply !!

Like many people, I am much more of a reader than a poster here, but I'm very sorry to hear this news and offer my good wishes to Cass's family.

She always came across in what she wrote as a lovely person, she will be very much missed.

It's been six months or more since my last posting here, as I'm not a regular, but check in from time to time to see what's been posted. Today was one of those times I decided to check in.

Needless to say, when I brought the forum page up, it it me like a ton of bricks! I was shockingly surprised and stunned to hear such sad news.

I want to extend my belated condolences to Cassa's husband, family, friends, and all forum members.

I post at many online forums and have made online friends with folks from all corners of the earth. Sadly, over the years, I've lost many of those friends as a result of their untimely passing. I can imagine the sadness and sense of loss many posters here feel.

RIP Cassa. You will be missed.

It has been a few days since I have heard about
Cassavetes45 passing away , and I am still greatly saddened ....so tomorrow on my day off as we a celebrating a holiday here in the United States I am going to watch.
Etude In Black ...with ... John Cassavetes as Maestro Alex Benedict ... and remember Cassavetes45 as I can only assume that is must of where she had gotten her screen name from and this must have been one of her favorite episodes !

Scott
It has been a few days since I have heard about
Cassavetes45 passing away , and I am still greatly saddened ....so tomorrow on my day off as we a celebrating a holiday here in the United States I am going to watch.
Etude In Black ...with ... John Cassavetes as Maestro Alex Benedict ... and remember Cassavetes45 as I can only assume that is must of where she had gotten her screen name from and this must have been one of her favorite episodes !

she did.......... it was.......... enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been away on holiday for the last three weeks and have returned home to this dreadful news. It's knocked me for six. I expected this forum to be downbeat due to Peter Falk's anniversary.....but never this. I feel too sad to write my feelings just now. I'm off to say a prayer for her and cry myself to sleep. God Bless You Cass.

good-bye, sweet lady. thank you for all the conversations and for proving that gentle, well-intentioned souls can make a bigger impact online than all the braying voices we all too often encounter. i'll miss you...

I can not fully express, how I was both sadden and shocked on learning of "cassavetes45" passing. I used to be a regular poster, but slacked off somewhat. I always enjoyed her posts, and like others, used to communicate with her off the site. Besides being great Columbo fans, we were both from New Jersey. She really did bring that special something to the forum. You could really feel her great spirit and enthusiasm with her posts. She will be greatly missed.......

I hadn't visited this web site for ages. But today, on entering the forum, I've read this recent thread 'Remembering an old forum friend'. The name Carleen didn't mean anything to me, and I didn't recognize the lady in the photograph. Ted's answer made me know who you were talking about, but as I read on I didn't want to believe what I suspected had happened. Until I read about the dedication of this board, and then read the dedication itself and had no doubt about it.

I cannot really believe Cass has passed away. She was always so full of life and humour, and always a kind word for everyone. I never met her, and I never thought I'd ever meet her, or anyone else in this forum. But, in spite of my not having been a regular here for the last years, and not the most contributing regular when I was, I've got very attached to some people in this forum, in this ethereal sort of way. And the shock has been great, because Cass was felt as such a warm, close presence. People come and go, but she was so taken for granted here that the void is enormous. I cannot imagine this forum without her.

I'm sorry not to be able to express better what I feel, because of my clumsy English. But I'd like to send my condolences to Alby and their son, and also to those of you who were real friends of hers. If I'm so shocked, I can imagine how you're feeling. My only comfort is that she passed in her sleep. I don't know whether she saw it coming, but right that minute she didn't suffer.

Cass, all my best wishes and a huge hug. Did God find out what Peter paid for his shoes?

Vergara
I hadn't visited this web site for ages. But today, on entering the forum, I've read this recent thread 'Remembering an old forum friend'. The name Carleen didn't mean anything to me, and I didn't recognize the lady in the photograph. Ted's answer made me know who you were talking about, but as I read on I didn't want to believe what I suspected had happened. Until I read about the dedication of this board, and then read the dedication itself and had no doubt about it.

I cannot really believe Cass has passed away. She was always so full of life and humour, and always a kind word for everyone. I never met her, and I never thought I'd ever meet her, or anyone else in this forum. But, in spite of my not having been a regular here for the last years, and not the most contributing regular when I was, I've got very attached to some people in this forum, in this ethereal sort of way. And the shock has been great, because Cass was felt as such a warm, close presence. People come and go, but she was so taken for granted here that the void is enormous. I cannot imagine this forum without her.

I'm sorry not to be able to express better what I feel, because of my clumsy English. But I'd like to send my condolences to Alby and their son, and also to those of you who were real friends of hers. If I'm so shocked, I can imagine how you're feeling. My only comfort is that she passed in her sleep. I don't know whether she saw it coming, but right that minute she didn't suffer.

Cass, all my best wishes and a huge hug. Did God find out what Peter paid for his shoesk
Hi Vergara ... Welcome back, and yes, I remember you very well.

Like many others who have posted here for at least as many years as Colleen herself, I'm feeling equally deflated by an emptiness. The sad fact is, I don't think this forum will ever be the same based on the way its beloved matriarch was stolen from it.

I mean, as a fan of Columbo, there will always be a reason to participate, but the simple joys of certain reactions are gone now, and I know they'll never return. I suppose that's what hurts the most. I'm still waiting on some kind of a post-post from Alby, but who could blame him if we never see one?