The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Columbo Music

Thanks, Eric. I ommited some episodes because there was too much f/x sounds over the music. Plus, in Season One, the end title music is duplicated several times. And in other instances, I re-edited tracks. The end "typewriter beat" theme of "Murder By The Book" is an example. Someone shuts a door at a crucial moment, so I covered it by adding on a piece of the same music from another part. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

Just been sampling some of the Season 1 material. Great job of editing and presentation! I did notice though that the pitch of the music seems to indicate you were using PAL source material? That always pinches the music up one key more than it actually is in the original version. Otherwise (and I have the ability to readjust them to the "correct" pitch with my own software), a very impressive effort! I encourage others to check these out.

Thanks for the compliment, Eric. Yes, my original source material was PAL-based, which has a 4% speedup as opposed to NTSC. The funny thing is that just after I did these - I managed to get hold of the BluRay Columbos which are the correct speed and pitch. I remember Tom Selleck saying many years ago that when he watches episodes of Magnum PI on British TV, his voice sounds much higher because of the Pal speedup.

I used Audacity incidentally to make the 4% downward adjustment on each track BTW, and the results came out perfect. I also incidentally had my own rip of the ending and end credits for "Blueprint For Murder" that while a recycled Melle cue from earlier in the season did provide a more "clean" version of the two best arrangements of his "Columbo" theme that I wish had been maintained throughout the course of the series as I always felt that Melle captured the essence of Columbo brilliantly there.

The Universal music vaults have been opening up in recent years so there is always a chance that Columbo music might finally make it to CD one day. We just have to hope that the labels responsible for putting out film and TV music (Intrada, Varese etc. Film Score Monthly alas, is now out of the business) will one day see the value of it too.