The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Similar shows or movies in conceptual sense

Oh and sorry for my english, it's not my mother language obviously :)

My candidate would be Fracture, with Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins. It was a lawyer movie, but had a terrific impossible murder plot. You saw Hopkins, an engineer, pull off his wife's murder, wait calmly for the cops, then (almost) get away with it without the viewer knowing exactly what he did until the end. Makes you wish the younger Hopkins had met up with Columbo in the 70s, as Dawidziak suggested.

For a comedy version, see Scotland PA, with Christopher Walken clearly spoofing Columbo.

I didn't see much of ANYTHING wrong with your English.

Speaking of comedies, I don't know if it belongs on this thread, but there's GAMBIT with Shirley MacLaine and Michael Caine, which is about a burglary. At the beginning, you see the burglary being carried out very smoothly, then you find out that was one of the characters IMAGINING the whole thing. Then when they DO try to commit the burglary, almost everything goes wrong. So it's a lot like that early scene of LADY IN WAITING, where Beth imagines the murder happening without a hitch.

Well thanks for the spoiler alert Grant :). Anyway, of course it belongs on this thread, I mean 1966 is a beautiful year for the kind of movies I'm looking for so there's a bigger chance for me to find the ones I want. Thanks for every suggestion, honestly!

Thanks Martin for "Fracture" suggestion, I will definitely give a shot. I just checked it out on imdb and voilà Rosamund Pike is in here, nice bonus! By the way did you see Hitchcock (2012) with Anthony Hopkins? If so how did you like it?

I haven't yet seen Hitchcock, though I'm very eager to. Maybe I'll rent it this week, and rewatch Vertigo while I'm at it. Thanks for the reminder.

Of course most episodes of "Mission: Impossible" let us see plans being carried out in silence, though its with the intent of tricking the villains in the story! One great episode has the team literally constructing the interior of a hotel in a matter of 20 minutes to use as a stand-in for the genuine article.

There are probably many true murder stories that resemble the show in some way or other, because I know that's been brought up here. I'm not familiar with that many true murder stories, but the Leopold and Loeb story is one that I know, mainly though the movie COMPULSION. And in COMPULSION, one of the two is bold enough to actually try to help the police with the investigation. (And I heard somewhere that that wasn't invented for the movie, that one of them actually did do that.) Anyway, that sounds like what happens in almost every Columbo, except with Columbo getting the person to help him along the way instead of the person volunteering completely.

And of course Hitchcock's Rope, which was based on the Loeb-Leopold case. Jimmy Stewart's the detective, and the movie was filmed to look like one camera take. Cool movie.