The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Milo Janus

Just watching Exercise In Fatality again - wonder if Milo J was the villain Columbo disliked the most out of them all?

Sometimes with Columbo it was personal as well as professional!

Re: Milo Janus

Columbo just didnt like the work outs and giving up cigars

I can never get over the way Milo can't stop being a health and fitness expert even for a moment, so he gives perfectly good health and fitness advice to the man who's investigating his murder. About the last person on earth he should WANT to stay healthy! That's one of those funny things in a story that really creep up on you instead of being obvious.

I identify with Columbo -- every time I go to work out at the Gold's Express near work, it's full of yuppies who are just a lot more attractive and fit than me and annoying "trainers" who want me to up my game and upgrade my membership. I can understand why the lieutenant was irritable.

Reading this thread makes me kind of wish that the later series (without necessarily having an all-out remake) could have had a story with a female "Milo Janus." Maybe with an athlete in the role, or even an actual bodybuilder in the role (one with acting experience, like Rachel MacLish).

I finally got Season Four just weeks ago, and saw "Exercise" two weeks ago. The thing is, I had maybe never seen it completely unedited before. I first saw it (as far as I know) on those CBS Late Movie reruns, and even though I'm very sentimental about those, they were pretty big on editing. Then I saw it on some local reruns that didn't seem to cut out anything judging by the length (after taping them without commercial breaks). But there was at least one part of a scene (as opposed to a whole scene) that seemed brand new to me two weeks ago, and that's the part with Columbo and the medical examiner (?) at the gym. It has that funny line where Columbo mentions the Chinese food as if it were significant, and the man makes a joke out of asking him if he thinks it was a murder involving Tong Wars. Maybe the phrase "Tong Wars" is kind of a touchy one to Chinese-Americans, but that phrase automatically makes you think of "pulp" suspense stories, so it was funny hearing it in a Columbo episode. And again, it was the first time I heard it, so I laughed out loud at that line.