The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chevy Chase's first role(s)?

I couldn't find where anyone had brought this up before, but my apologies if this is a repeat:

I have always noticed that the kooky medical clerk/worker who interacts with Columbo in "A Stitch in Crime" looks, acts, and sounds a whole lot like Chevy Chase. So does the DMV clerk in "Death Lends a Hand," but neither role was credited to him on IMDB.

In fact, according to IMDB, someone named Don Keefer is credited as the medical examiner in the former episode, and he does have the chin dimple like Chase, but the resemblance ends there: honestly, the actor in the show looks more like Chevy Chase than like Don Keefer, to me.

There's no accreditation at all for "Death Lends a Hand," so I can't determine whether it's Keefer again, or Chase from the official record. However, at least according to one Wiki, the DMV clerk definitely is Chevy Chase:

http://community-sitcom.wikia.com/wiki/Chevy_Chase

I swear the other guy and this one are the same, though. The medical worker even has more lines, and it's uncanny, if he's not Chase. Does anyone else see the resemblance and think they're both Chase, too?

Re: Chevy Chase's first role(s)?

Oops, I mixed up my roles, but the question is still valid:

- I confused the medical examiner in "Death Lends a Hand" with the medical clerk in "A Stitch in Crime." The one who looks like Chase is the one in "A Stitch in Crime," at around 1:00 into the film, though it's uncredited, and so that is why I'm wondering if it's him.

- The DMV clerk is the one in question in "Death Lends a Hand."

"A Stitch in Crime" (1973)

photo stitch_zps957876ab.jpg

"Death Lends a Hand" (1971)

photo hand_zps0882808c.jpg

Don Keefer in "Death Lends a Hand" (1971)

photo don_zpsbad2e3a1.jpg

Thanks very much for the screen caps, Mitch! Yeah Keefer was a red herring, because I erroneously looked at the credits for one film while my intent was the medical clerk in the other film. The first two are the ones I was questioning as to whether they're Chase; can ignore that third one. Look how young he is, though, if it's him... still pretty distinctive, though! :)

The great Don Keefer, and still alive at almost a hundred!

Chevy Chase, unknown date. Probably 'CaddyShack' era, which was 1980.

photo 600full-chevy-chase_zps4cd78f76.jpg

They both look a lot like Chevy,but it's not him Wendy.

Hi everybody.

I could not ensure if he is or not Chevy Chase. "Columbo" actor looks older, but Wendy has mentioned he sounds like Chase, too, and that link to "Community" web says this. ¿?.

Anyone of you have a Twitter account and can ask Chevy Chase himself?

Regards.

The DMV clerk actor has always reminded me a little of Bernie Kopell. Not much, but a little.

I have seen that actor in other older shows -- it's not Chevy. Right about the chin, though.

Hi everybody.

According to this link: http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=21457 , he is Ken Sansom.

Regards.

Wow he was the Western Union man in The Sting - I never made the connection. I wonder if he ever got used to that horrible shade of green Kid Twist never finished painting.

I saw the "Stitch In Crime" episode yesterday and immediately recognised the medical assistant character who spoke briefly to Columbo as being Chevy Chase. No question about it!!!

I think one of the guys counting the money looks so much like Chevy when he's older in "The Conspirators". Could it be him?