The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Curious

I was wondering for those of you who go back to the original yet modified version of Columbo, he was 1 of 4 rotating shows along with McCloud, MacMillan, Cool Millions, Banacek, Hec Ramsey, and a few others.

And I am guessing most as old as me go back to the original premise for the rotations from Gene Barry and Robert Stack and Franciosa.

So my question is= of the rotating shows with Columbo--- which would be your next favorite.

I know mine is Banacek.

Re: Curious

I always liked McCloud, although I can't remember anything about it other than him almost falling off of the Pam Am Building. Just another lame 70's show Columbo makes them all pale by comparison. I actually watched MacMillan and Wife the other day and it didn't age well if it was ever good.

McMillan And Wife was driven entirely by the on-screen chemistry of the two leads, and the strength of the supporting players. If you didn't like watching Rock and Susan interact with John Schuck and Nancy Walker for comic relief then you weren't going to be impressed. Script wise, the show was weak as I constantly see shows slowed by filler material meant to pad the length (two hour McMillans are especially weak).

When i hear that original theme music from the mystery movies, it brings back memories.I still remember looking forward to the Columbo episodes. I must have been 10-11 years old . I remember my mom liked Macmillan and wife.

I loved them all, from the cowboy/cop movies of McCloud and the whimsical whodunits of McMillan and Wife to Hec Ramsey's old west forensics, McCoy's elaborate con games, Amy Prentiss' pre-Closer/pre-Prime Suspect police suspense, Lanigan's Rabbi's comedy, and early Quincy melodrama. Of the Wednesday/Tuesday Mystery series, Banacek was my runaway favorite (what great impossible crime plots!), though the middle-aged private eye Tenafly is a sentimental favorite since I've e-mailed with James McEachin a few times. Great TV, great times.

Here's a related question: Can you name the special, one-off episodes of the NBC Mystery Movie, both on the Sunday and Wednesday versions? There were several -- mostly failed pilots plus one successful one -- but only someone my age (55) or so could probably remember almost any of them.

I find none of them hold up...though Dennis Weaver was good...as was JD Cannon.
but script wise...nothing comes close,,,,different league altogether.

I think Falk's reputation as "difficult" is the key to that....insisted on quality and had a great team of writers for sure.

Columbo never seems dated except for a few occasional scenes...

With a few exceptions the writing was truly fantastic. Very seldom has two episodes of the same series been nominated in the same year for Emmies, as was the writing of the first year.

These writers took care to make Columbo totally believable. Small things too, eg, winning a raffle, bowling league, Columbo belonging to the Holy Name Society which was a very nice touch.

I didn't know Peter Falk was difficult but I am glad he was.