The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: worse ever moment ever cringe

Yeah -- perfectly innocent back then, but verrrry creepy today, especially in Etude.

Ted
To me, the most cringe-worthy moments -- perhaps OK in their day, but which have aged VERY badly -- are Columbo\'s moments with young girls, where he tells them how beautiful they are, etc -- I \"get\" that Columbo was just being Columbo, but as I said, these bits of dialogue just do not hold up well over time!

Without taking time to check (and I\\\'m sorry if I get these wrong), I believe such moments occur in \"Etude In Black\" and in \"The Bye-Bye Sky High IQ Murder Case.\"

I agree. I could see how Columbo is acting like an uncle in Sky High but the writers did not really bring that out. The moments in Etude does not hold up. I think the girl in "Etude" seemed a bit young to asking Columbo the 'mind/body' question. Columbo lets that go as he does the remark she made about the name he was thinking about for a dog. (Just saw episode a week or so again.) Its one thing to be mocked by adults but another for him to take that nonsense from a kid.

Just my opinion.

"I like your hair. Darryl"?

Columbo just responds...."uhhhh, yes"

It isn't a CRINGE moment by a long shot, but I feel like rolling my eyes when the belly dancing instructor in TRY AND CATCH ME says "Remember to keep it dignified - this isn't a strip tease."
All joking aside, what's so undignified about a strip tease?