The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DEAD WEIGHT HOUSE

I love this site and visit it frequently to catch up on discussions and trivia. I especially enjoy trying to find the filming locations used during the series. I don't know what the fascination is with this, but it is fun. That being said, I believe I've located the site of General Hollister's house from the episode "Dead Weight". I noticed last night that there was an address "28" outside his house. With that information and the info from IMDB about filming locations - Balboa Island - I searched GoogleMaps and came up with this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Balboa+Island,+Newport+Beach,+CA/@33.6083935,-117.900508,162m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80dce06efbc238a5:0x971e24d6b4747f87

If you look at this site: http://columboscreenshots.blogspot.com/2014/07/columbo-5-dead-weight-1971-part-01.html

and compare the screen shots from the episode, you can see the overall layout of the house and the L-shape of the dock in front of Hollister's house, which corresponds to the layout and shape of what I think is 28 Park Avenue, Balboa Island (Newport Beach), California. Also, note where Col. Dutton parks his car there is a rectangular curb-like structure in the middle of the street (which comes to a curved end). This matches the rectangular curb-like structure found on GoogleMaps - also at the end of a curved street - Park Avenue. Unfortunately, there is not street view available from GoogleMaps on this location, nor can I access anything from across the water which provides a current view of that part of Balboa Island, but I'm reasonably certain this is the location.

Curious to see if anyone else has information about this location and can confirm/refute this information. Cheers!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-zTOevuv9NeU/U8ycz7YzWwI/AAAAAAAO4ec/kk5HI9Mle3I/s1600/Columbo-Dead_Weight-1971-CSS1005.jpg

Re: DEAD WEIGHT HOUSE

Just more proof that the average Columbo enthusiast is a lifeless moron.

Go fvkc yourself Jimbo

oh just one more thing, your feet stink.

I too believe this is the house. I so want to vacation on the is,and next year and see this house. Thank you for posting.

You're welcome, Valerie. I hope you get to make it there.

There is a house a few houses down that rents. $850 a night but maybe if I save I can go with my fiancé for his birthday next May. Here's hoping. He thinks my obsession with this episode is odd but it's my thing.

Thanks for the news

It's 6 Collins Island. It's on Flipkey.com. And some other sites

Ha! I know this is an old post but I was watching the Columbo Episode "Dead Weight". I live near Newport Beach and regularly paddle in the marina there (Balboa Island). I think you're absolutely right about Hollister's house. I checked it out the other day. I'll put a photo on Pinterest entitled: Hollister's House, Dead Weight, Columbo. You should be able to find it with a Goole search. Good sleuthing. The Lieutenent would have been proud!!

Ooh, can't wait to see the pic!

You are close. The house where dialog between Eddie Albert and Peter Falk is shot on an outdoor patio, is at the end of Park Ave., but it's on "Collins Island", an artificial island that has only a few homes. The address is 2 Collins Island, not 6 Collins Island as mentioned above. You can see the slip where Eddie Albert docks the yacht "The Iron Horse", and you can see the extensive Spanish tile outdoor patio at that address in the Google maps aerial view. The establishing shot at the beginning of the episode is a different home on the water in Newport Bay that no longer exists. It's either been renovated, or removed and replaced. It was near the Newport Jetty.

Yes, that's the house. When I looked it up the address came up 28 Park Avenue. When I searched "Collins Island" I found a map which confirmed your post; 2Collins Island. We're talking about the same house!

Thanks for your response!

The house was actually owned by Peter Falk.

Thank you for the info. This was a great episode with even greater scenery :) I enjoyed this little thread thank you all for helping me with the info :)

Actually it’s Collins island at the tip of island. They use 2 houses next to each other. The entry of one house and the interior of the other

oh i search this house 10 years aha now i found it thanks but you you cant find on google earth only on google images too bad, but happy to find that hpuse, james cagney buy this small island in 1930s

location balboa island

collins island i can find house on google maps no photos