The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Poll to rate favourite episodes

We had one in 1988 and 1989, although I see that due to site changes, the Bravenet link is no longer active. I don't remember what the top episodes were, but a lot of people on the Forum disagreed or were puzzled by the results. Like any poll, it was just a snapshot of folks who took the poll at the time.

I enjoy reading other opinions, and like the complaints - even though I disagree in many cases. For example, I completely disagree with some opinions that the later episodes (season 8+) are lackluster or bad. Some of the best episodes ever made are in those newer episodes.

People have mentioned the music is goofy/bad or whatever, but I could easily cite multiple cases in the 70's shows where the music/production is questionable or goofy, as well. There's good and not-so-good throughout the entire series, all the way to Nightlife, which is great. People who write-off the entire 2.0 era haven't watched them all, I promise.

This looks like it might be from the late nineties.

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/

I think I was able to cast a new vote (at least I didn't get any error messages).

Some of the results make sense, others....meh. :)

(Since I got my moniker from that episode, obviously I think A Friend in Deed should be rated much more highly!)

quid_quo_pro

(Since I got my moniker from that episode, obviously I think A Friend in Deed should be rated much more highly!)

Interesting that you should cite that ep Quid. In my view, "A Friend In Deed" crests the very pinnacle of the entire series, and I'll never make sense of how anyone groomed on the initial 5 seasons of the show can sit through any installment from the ABC years ... that is, without reaching for an airsick bag.

""A Friend In Deed" crests the very pinnacle of the entire series, and I'll never make sense of how anyone groomed on the initial 5 seasons of the show can sit through any installment from the ABC years"

Wow a barf bag?? Which episodes past season five have you watched? What was the problem? The reason I ask is because you mention your favorite is Friend in Deed - which in my opinion - at least half of the episodes in seasons 6-10 would be ranked higher than that episode. I agree the 70s were awesome, btw. Cheeers.

Many of the newer episodes are fantastic: Death Hits the Jackpot, Agenda for Murder, etc. There are serious clunkers like Undercover and No Time To Die, but most are worth watching.

That said, I can't talk much about music because I don't notice it unless it stands out, usually in a bad way. My favorite example of that is in "Any Old Port In A Storm" when Hector Elizondo and his friends are dancing when Columbo tells them about the death of their friend and asks about the victim, etc. The music is so dated (even by then) and I even think the actors knew it was ridiculous. They try to dance to it but they look like fools. And it's basically supposed to be a bunch of young people hanging out by the pool and beach and relaxing so they were just dancing to that crap. Hilarious.

Hector Elizondo appeared in A Case of Immunity.

Yes, he's the star of A Case of Immunity, but he has a tiny role in Any Old Port also. It's when Columbo goes to find the victims fiancé and friends hanging out to tell them that Rick has been found, and he's dead.

@Pete

Indeed, Agenda is seriously fantastic. McGoohan is world class. Definitely a top ten episode for me.

So....back to the original question. Can someone set up a poll?