The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Last Salute ....sorry, if I didn't LOVE Columbo...

Heh! Yes, it's not a favorite of mine either. It's weird in various ways, and I don't like the deviation from "the formula," but I will say I don't really mind the rowing-away at the end. It has to be viewed in context of the fact that, at the time, a lot of people thought it would be the very last episode, so Columbo needed an Exit, and rowing off into the sunset, to meet his wife for lunch, wasn't an awful choice. True, it's jarring that he is whistling while smoking a cigar, but on the other hand, just a few days ago I watched a "Seinfeld" clip of Kramer smoking a cigarette while drinking a beer, so I suppose Columbo could have managed it!

You're not alone. What a weird episode where the lieutenant seems like he's on drugs or something...or the dirctor; i believe it was Patrick MacGoohan.

My next episode from the box set is Agenda for Murders... Directed by Patrick McGoohan and I'm just hoping it isn't weird like 'Last Salute'. I found 'Identity Crisis' a little off too so it will be interesting to compare.

"Agenda" is an excellent episode, completely different from Commodore. Commodore is so bizarre that I can't even describe it: The screaming in the boatyard, the whispering, the excitement about seeing the ocean (from a man who lives in L.A.) and the phone wrapped around Robert Vaughn's neck; all for no reason.

And of course:
Colombo: "Mac, did you see it?"
Mac: "See what?"
Columbo: "It".

He then points to a boat. Good episode? T'isn't".