The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Should Columbo Have had a "Permanent" Secondary Character?

Most people instinctively dislike change, especially with something that is already great. That said, Peter Falk was so entertaining that I think he could carry a second character and further enhance the show. Last Salute To The Commodore doesn't count because it's so poor, but the two episodes where Columbo is partnered with Sgt. Wilson were very strong. The contrast of the "Everyman" thinking of Wilson, as with Dr. Watson, makes the detectives' brilliance shine even more.

I think a regular partner for Columbo could have worked. But who would tolerate being stuck in that unreliable car inhaling cheap cigar stink with a guy who rambles endlessly about his wife, wears the same suit everyday and works ridiculous hours? At least they'd have Dog could to keep them company.

I think of him as too much of a "loner" to have one every time.

I'm always saying this, but thank heaven the partners the show DID give him had a lot of that low-key Columbo attitude. The show might've been tempted to make them an odd couple by making the partner really aggressive and tough with suspects and others, which would've gone against the whole "formula" of the show.

I agree with Grant on this matter. Columbo always worked better by himself, it was part of his persona, the very fabric of who he was and why he was in the job. He had to have the space to think things through and I don't understand why the other characters were introduced, maybe a ratings boost? Who knows. Peter never mentioned it in his autobiography either, as in my opinion it simply distracted from the main character.

One could argue that the raincoat and the car were permanent secondary characters of sorts. Columbo is so attached to his raincoat that he can't do his job without it (remember in Now you see him he can't think without his partner the raincoat hehe)

It seems like Columbo preferred working alone. I remember a couple times when he found he would be working with a partner,it initially threw him off a bit until he got comfortable and tolerated it.

A cohort? ... nah - none were ever needed. At least, not my view.

That's why shows like Streets of San Francisco, Hunter, and Ironsides would never stand the test of time. In fact, I can't even sit through those shows today.

A couple served as intriguing adjuncts to Columbo (Kramer/Vernon). Truth is, I'd always thought of Dog as being enough of a character diversion, but often found him (and Dishy) far more irritating, than supportive.

I've also noted by suffering through a few eps that the pup never reappeared in the ABC installments. Hardly surprising to me though, because by that time, Falk was having enough trouble holding himself up!

Fanny Pakk

I've also noted by suffering through a few eps that the pup never reappeared in the ABC installments. Hardly surprising to me though, because by that time, Falk was having enough trouble holding himself up!

I know Dog appears in at least one ABC episode. I don't remember which one, but it opens with Columbo at a basset hound gathering in a park. Dog wins his first, and only, ribbon and snaps at Columbo after he tells another gentleman that Dog is a gentle dog.

I know the ABC version very badly, but I'm sure I've seen that one. I'm pretty sure the killer is a painter, or at least it has to do with painting, so that should identify it.

Grant
I know the ABC version very badly, but I'm sure I've seen that one. I'm pretty sure the killer is a painter, or at least it has to do with painting, so that should identify it.

Murder, A Self Portrait. Not one of my favorite episodes, but it does have Shera and Vitto in it and every time I watch it, I get an urge to go buy some loose fitting linen shirts.