The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murder by the Book (location of house at Big Bear Lake)

Hello All

The Ken Franklin cabin was posted a few years back. I posted the photos I took of the house. Look Ken Franklins cabin.2015

5-6 years ago I went on Zillo and found the names of the Franklin house owners and decided to send the owners a letter (actually, a large padded mailing envelope) inquiring if they knew about the Columbo filming there. I sent screen shot photos (taken from the Murder By The Book episode) and several pages of text.

However, the letter was returned to me by the USPS, saying the residence had a P.O. Box, and no street address delivery.

I then did a Google of the owners' names, and lo and behold it turned out that the husband was the head of a multi billion dollar investment firm in L.A., California, and both he and his wife were known socialites and philanthropists (which I found photos of them online). They lived in a mansion in L.A., and some magazine had done a photo op of the mansion, along with an interview and biography (available online).

Come to find out, the Franklin house was just one of about four or five residences they owned. I recall they had a residence in Hawaii, and one in Hilton Head, South Carolina.

As I recall the owners were in their late '70s or early '80s back in 2011.

Considering their prominent business and social status, I decided not to contact them once I got their actual physical address in L.A., and didn't want to invade their privacy, possibly them thinking I was using the Franklin house inquiry as a pretext for some other more threatening purpose.

When I saw the name of the owner, I was surprised because my friend Brian worked for him back in the 90s in Pasadena. The companies have since been sold off but he still owns all those properties.

What pics did you post of the house in 2015? I know from what I can tell from Google aerial photos that the house had an extensive modification, plus maybe a garage or combination garage and guest house. Unfortunately, Google doesn't have street view of the house.

I didn't want to disclose the owner's name, but you know the name and much of the personal information. I just know he wasn't the original owner based on the Zillow property history (where I got the owner's name from). So, I have no idea if he owner is aware the Columbo episode was shot in his house -- or if he even cares.

big bear lake thx for house