The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Character Typecasted for me

In 'Identity Crisis ,i can't take the CIA director character (David White)seriously because of watching episodes of Bewitched when i was a kid.

Any examples like this for anyone else?

Re: Character Typecasted for me

I don't know if it's a good example, but I always have trouble getting used to Roddy McDowall as such a trendy-looking early ' 70's character in SHORT FUSE. And I don't have that problem with a whole lot of other actors (when I see that Batman episode with Ida Lupino and Howard Duff in mod clothes, I don't even flinch!). Maybe it's because of all those straight-laced characters Roddy played MOST of the time.

So many to choose from! (Thinking of actors from "Star Trek", "F Troop" and "Green Acres" among others!)

But as long as we're on "Identity Crisis", I had trouble not thinking of Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin. He was a very serious actor at the time, but even in "Lady in Waiting", when he played a slightly lit Peter Hamilton in the bar scene, the silly little grin seemed to invoke his later comedic transformation.

But one that always gets me is a minor character, both in Columbo and in what invokes my stereotype. It's the italian neighbor in “Death Hits the Jackpot”. Again, it was only a very minor role for him, but I cannot watch that episode without immediately shouting out "That-a Johnny Depp, he make-a me cry!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHEYNYlHXc0

(edited to show the correct video clip)

quid_quo_pro

But one that always gets me is a minor character, both in Columbo and in what invokes my stereotype. It's the italian neighbor in “Death Hits the Jackpot”. Again, it was only a very minor role for him, but I cannot watch that episode without immediately shouting out "That-a Johnny Depp, he make-a me cry!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHEYNYlHXc0

Wow, I never made that connection.

Totally lost. Can someone explain/elaborate for me please?

You have to be familiar with that episode and you have to watch the video I linked to.

One of the neighbors in the Columbo episode speaks with a very heavy Italian accent. He's the same actor who utters the "Johnny Depp" line in the Seinfeld clip using the same heavy Italian accent.

Yeah, that over-tight three piece polyester suit he was wearing was a bit much too, but what really got to me was the ID he handed to Columbo (looking like something that came out of a cereal box).

Speaking of LADY IN WAITING, it could be tricky (though not for me necessarily) to accept Susan Clark as this wealthy girl with that sort of "Eastern" way of speaking, since I think she's usually known for playing much more down-to-earth characters.
If I have trouble with anything, though, it's when she goes to the other extreme with all that trendy clothing!
Not that I don't think she carries both things off, it's just that they're each a little hard to get used to in her case.

I also definitely know what quid_quo_pro means about Leslie Nielsen in LADY IN WAITING. It's so hard to see him in ANYTHING without thinking he's about to make you laugh, no matter what it is.