The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I Enjoy Season Seven, But Not Peter Falk's Acting

i did think he was strange in Make Me A Perfect Murder. that episode is a favourite of mine but Falk seema a bit off and cold in this one. When he confronts Kay at the end of the episode he seems arrogant and distant and she hadn't been a killer he took a particular disliking to throughout the episode and yet at the end he just seems cold. That episode belongs to Trish Van Devere anyway, she was great.

Re: I Enjoy Season Seven, But Not Peter Falk's Acting

I agree, Edward. If you notice it in season 7, then you'll REALLY notice it in the later seasons. For me it becomes an undeniable distraction in seasons 9 to 10. like a goofy grampa with an ego. The goof becomes even more obvious when the supporting cast is apparently told to act in an eye-rolling sort of demeanor toward the Lt. Which is a departure from what directors wanted to convey in the earlier years. Even as a senior detective, he was serious, direct and the smartest one in the room. It all changes at some point, as you mentioned.