The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Death Hits the Jackpot: Huge Plot Hole

The other thing that has been bothering me about this episode is that Freddy new that Uncle Leon's wife was also on TV helping him collect that big check. Freddy should have wondered how the hell Uncle Leon would explain to his wife that hey that's not my money. It really belongs to Freddy. That would open up a whole other debate.

But your point is well taken. Why does Nancy even have to involve herself at that point. I don't have the answer for that my friend

Fred
The other thing that has been bothering me about this episode is that Freddy new that Uncle Leon's wife was also on TV helping him collect that big check. Freddy should have wondered how the hell Uncle Leon would explain to his wife that hey that's not my money. It really belongs to Freddy. That would open up a whole other debate.

But your point is well taken. Why does Nancy even have to involve herself at that point. I don't have the answer for that my friend
Exactly, Fred. To me, of all the episodes, this one defies any logic. It's one thing if they painted the Leon/Nancy affair to be one based more on true love than passion. I remember her and her antagonistic attitude in the bathtub, talking to Leon on the phone, reminding him of the money coming to her. She might be the dumbest conspirator ever. She could avoid helping to commit murder and get her own 1/2 of the jackpot. But instead, gives it up only with a promise of getting her 1/2, which would ultimately just be a 1/4 of it after Leon's wife, assuming they divorced, got hers. The writers really blew this whole plot. I do love Rip Torn, though.

The other thing is that why not just leave old Freddy alone. He already agreed to give Uncle Leon 10% right off the top for his assistance in investing. How greedy can one person get

All I know is, the entire show FALCON CREST didn't cause me to have kind of a thing for Jamie Rose, but this one story did. I guess it's partly the whole femme fatale thing.

I never understood why the wife would join in the murder, but I also don't understand why Leon even needed her to. All she did was make a phone call and for that she gets $15 million!

Another plot hole that I never understood was from Double Shock. Why, after the lawyer was willing to alter the will to write the fiancee out and put the twins in, would they murder the fiancee and frame the lawyer. All he wanted for his cooperation was to continue to manage the estate, something which they would have needed anyway.

But back to Leon Lamarr: great character, great performance by Rip Torn and an overall great episode. But certainly that was a huge plot hole.

Agree on the Double Shock. I never understood that either. In fact, it forces the lawyer to have to explain what really happened and just points more guilt their way. The lawyer had no motive, so his story would likely have been believed.

I think with Double Shock the brothers were getting worried they were going to get implicated, so they tried to shift the entire blame off to the lawyer.

YES, this plot makes no sense at all. And what about the timing ... when did Uncle Leon and Freddy's wife start their affair? There was no financial element until Freddy happened to hit the lottery?