The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Try and Catch Me-Step-Nephew Edmund

This is easily one of my favorite episodes due to Ruth Gordon, but something about her murder of step-nephew Edmund has always bothered me. What proof do we have that he murdered her niece? In fact, he expressed, what I thought very sincerely, that he didn't want or expect any money from Abigail. She pretty much forced the whole concept of being her heir on him. I wonder why it was left for the viewers to deduce and accept that Abigail had the proof she needed to commit 1st degree homicide. Anybody else ever watch this classic and actually feel bad for the Edmund character?

Re: Try and Catch Me-Step-Nephew Edmund

Nope, not at all. I think they gave us enough clues to tell us he's guilty. Especially when he looked at her picture and smirked.

Also, recall the scene when Columbo enters Edmunds apartment, no sign of any photo's of his wife etc and a typical bachelor apartment. It was an easy enough case for Columbo, the nephew had got rid of his wife perhaps to claim a big insurance pay out, then he could resume his bachelor lifestyle (look at how he was dressed as he and Miss Abigail stroll along the beach together). Miss Abigail knew exactly what Edmund was up to and she was determined he wouldn't get away with it. Ruth Gordon played her part brilliantly in this film, she was a natural and there were so many good lines too. "I know exactly what I'm going to do about you, and me..." she says on the beach. That ought to have had Edmund very worried!

See, I don't find it odd that a man who lost his wife wouldn't have a picture of her out, for the reason you stated; he's a bachelor, widower. If he had a woman come over, it's a bit awkward to see the face of the wife staring at you. Maybe he had a picture in his wallet or elsewhere. She had no proof. They were out on the water. He told Abby he didn't want nor expect her money. I'm not saying he didn't do it, but I just didn't see any signs of him showing he did it. I love this episode and every time I watch it, I really WANT to believe he did it, but I'm not nearly convinced because the writers didn't give enough "evidence" to convince me.

I agree with this. I don't think there is enough to suggest that Edmund killed his wife.

I think it would add more to the story if Abigail was wrong and Edmund was innocent. I don't think Abigail was a nasty person, she wanted justice for her niece's death but how tragic would it be if she killed an innocent man to try and get it.

It is a great story and I think the ambiguity of Edmunds character adds a bit more to it.

My parents were married for 46 years and when my mother died, by father gave away or threw out anything that reminded him of her. He did this in distress and from emotional pain. But I think in the Columbo world the writers wanted us to agree with Columbo that Edmund had a poor marriage.

And I also think that we are just to assume Edmund’s guilt. What would be the point if Abbie was wrong? But of course she could be. Either way she cannot commit murder. Not with the Lieutenant on the case.

In fact, series TV is full of widows and widowers (or at least it used to be), and how often did you see any photos?

The scene in Edmunds apartment was contrived. Abigail didn't notice what Columbo was looking for, she didn't think. The apartment was a stereotypical bachelors place, sports memorabilia, small kitchenette. Edmund didn't need anything bigger, he was too busy enjoying himself. Note too the car he was driving, soft top mercedes, the clothes he was wearing in each scene, immaculate. Edmund was the quintessential bachelor type, not for being pinned down by a wife, children, responsibilities, husband chores. He quickly grew bored of his wife and his new horizons didn't appeal to him. By adding up all these suppositions Columbo knew he was onto something, he simply followed the trail and it led to Abigail Mitchell.

Do you mean you think Edmund murdered Phyllis, but NOT because he was hoping to get Abigail's money, even without Phyllis? Because I've always wondered about the logic of murdering her and hoping to become Abigail's heir (even though that's what HAPPENS), instead of just waiting for Phyllis to inherit it. But I wondered some time ago, what if Edmund murdered her, but for a different reason?

I’d really like for those who think Edmund was guilty to actually outline the evidence against him. We know the death happened out on the ocean of which the only other witness is deceased. He wasn’t Abby’s heir until she made him so. He told Abby he didn’t want nor expect her money. I’ve heard he had a “look” on his face when he saw Phylis’ picture. I didn’t see anything suspicious about his look. He didn’t have a devious smirk or anything. We have his bachelor pad with no photos which a few of us felt wasn’t entirely out of the norm. That’s all. They didn’t have children. He could’ve divorced her. He had no benefit to kill her. Maybe the writers actually wanted the subject of his guilt to be up for debate since we as viewers are usually expected to have a certain level of disdain for the killers that Columbo captures?

Yes I agree with what you say, the disdain. However I thought this was a very cleverly scripted and thought through episode. Miss Abigail does say prior to slamming the safe door shut with Edmund inside - "I know what you did"... Just as she queries Edmund on the beach whilst strolling along. Also that eerie scene where the horses gallap past them and Edmund looks genuinely frightened - not of the horses we know, but of Abigails intentions. These scenes were dripping with irony, self guilt, and a single mimded determination. Perhaps I am being biased as this film is my all time favourite and I love the way the script writers leave the viewer in suspense over Edmund. Columbo knew all along of course, all those little clues and nuances. Edmund WAS a killer.

Mark, I don’t think there’s any real evidence regarding Edmunds guilt. It’s just a backstory to give the the main character a motive to commit murder and thereby enhance the main plot. It’s up to the viewer to decide if the motive is valid. I don’t see any reason why Mark would be innocent because it doesn’t serve the plot and the director showed nothing that would exonerate him.

Columbo mentions that he read the file on the nieces’ murder and it was somewhat inconclusive. Also that Mark must have had a very poor marriage. Other than that we have Abbie’s suspicions.

So I suppose Abbie could be in so much pain that she just blamed Mark. But more likely he killed her. I guess a divorce was too difficult, lol. He certainly couldn’t have expected to inherit. That should have been a red flag when Abbie was so nice to him.

Interesting take, Pete. I just think it has to be more than a coincidence that even in the show, the report showed "inconclusive..." and the show itself left us very little, close to nothing, as far as any real proof that Edmund killed his wife. The writers easily could've given us something more substantial. They could've showed Edmund talking to himself after Abby decided to make him her heir, saying something like, "...just how I planned" or "...thanks Phyllis" with an evil chuckle or smirk. But nope, in fact, they did the opposite. I do really feel that this was to have us viewers not feel overly sympathetic to a 1st degree murderer.

That may be true, that they don't want us too sympathetic, especially after Columbo says how much he likes certain murderers: "Not for what they did, never for that", etc.

I also think that sometimes a write fleshes out a great back story and some studio hack will come in and edit it to shreds. In Murder With Too Many Notes it's so bad that it looks like they ran out of time. The final clue that was supposed to catch Findlay Crawford was from written music that spelled out B-E-C-C-A. And therefore.....? Therefore the episode was over and Crawford asked if any prisons had a good orchestra, lol. IT MADE NO SENSE!

So perhaps Edmund's back story and the niece's death would have been fleshed out more and, for purposes of brevity, they just said she died mysteriously. And Abbie suspects foul play.