The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Fashioned Murder teleplay

Did anyone know that the teleplay for Old Fashioned Murder and Fade Into Murder was written by Peter Feibleman, the actor who played Milton Schaeffer in Old Fashioned Murder? I didn't know that. Just watched it on Cozi TV, and sadly they cut the best part out - the part where Columbo goes to Darryl. So all of the sudden you see Columbo with this hair style and you wouldn't know why he had it if you didn't know the episode.

Re: Old Fashioned Murder teleplay

Yes, I caught that too!

They also cut a small but important bit early on where Ruth turns the light off on her brother. It was only about ten seconds worth, but it foreshadowed the "why were the lights off" clue that Columbo clamped onto.

Have to admit though, the lights off clue didn't hold together very well. Too dark for the victims to see each other but not too dark for Janie to see the briefcase the next morning?

Yeah, noticed that missing too. Good point on Janie seeing the brief case. Hadn't thought of that. What I never could figure out is that neither supposed shooters would have had gun shot residue on them, so that would be an immediate give away that it was staged. Seemed to be a huge flaw in the story to me. Ruth could have at least tried to shoot another bullet or something with their hands to get GSR on them.

The lack of GSR immediately caught my attention too. I guess because I've seen that clue both used and planted in other Columbo episodes!