The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How often do they know they're being tricked?

How many times does the murderer know, or almost know, he or she is being tricked by Columbo? Of course, it's easy to tell that when the trick doesn't WORK, because they actually confront him with it, like that moment when Dr. Kepple makes sure not to direct him to the movie theater. But I'm thinking of times when they have no choice but to play along.
One that I always wonder about is SWAN SONG. Tommy is a smart person, and he ALMOST has to know that his overhearing that phone call about the thermos was part of the plan, but he has no choice but to go looking for it.
Another is DEATH LENDS A HAND. In the case of that one, Columbo actually says right in front of Brimmer, "You know what I wish? I wish he knew we were talking this way."
But of course he has to go looking for that lens anyway.
It's kind of a general question, but how many times does the killer KNOW that he's playing into Columbo's hands, but doesn't see any choice but to do what he or she does?

Re: How often do they know they're being tricked?

Best one ever is in Now You See Him when Santini gets challenged to open the handcuffs on stage and then Columbo says "I knew you could do it" and gives a little wink. That was brilliant!!

Re: How often do they know they're being tricked?

Irene DiMilo
Best one ever is in Now You See Him when Santini gets challenged to open the handcuffs on stage and then Columbo says "I knew you could do it" and gives a little wink. That was brilliant!!
I was wracking my brain for one, and boom...nice one Irene.

Probably the perfect example of being tricked and realizing it, and knowing he had no choice but to break out of the handcuffs...