The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Making Arrests W/no Handcuffs

quid_quo_pro
Well, he did have handcuffs in "Now you See Him". :relaxed:

But more to your point, in "Murder of a Rock Star", he specifically told the drummer "I don't have any cuffs. Am I gonna need them?"

Also, I thought I remembered him handcuffing Faye Dunaway, so I cheated.

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=806565873&frmid=6&msgid=980320&cmd=show

Looks like it was Robert Culp.

The thought of Faye Dunaway in handcuffs...whew. :cold_sweat:

EDIT: On rereading the quiz in that link, it looks like people were just guessing. I don't see the answer key. I'm sticking with Faye Dunaway!
I just checked the end of Death Lends A Hand and he didn't handcuff Robert Culp. I'm going to agree with you that is was Faye Dunaway.

He also says "That won't be necessary" at the end of DEAD WEIGHT.

That's incorrect. The only time he used handcuffs was in It's All In the Game when he put Faye Dunaway character in handcuffs. In Now You See Him, when the cops came for Jack Cassidy, he stood straight up and very haughty so the cops didn't touch him. It was in Playback when Oscar Werner told the cops, this won't be necessary when they showed him the cuffs so they didn't cuff him.

When it comes to the line "That won't be necessary," it's tempting to think that only on COLUMBO would the police take the KILLER'S word for it! And of course I mean that in a GOOD way.