The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chuck McGann 1934-2018

Wow, what a career!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/chuck-mccann-dead-comic-actor-kids-tv-host-was-83-1024097

I had no idea he was "the Right Guard guy" from those goofy 70s commercials.

So now we know why he was always smiling - the guy was worth Millions!!! Nice one!! And thanks for the performance in Columbo Chuck, the nice guy copped it too!

Chuck McCann (correct spelling) was a legend in New York kids television in the 1960s before he moved west. That was before my time so I knew him best from those Right Guard spots with that "Hi, guy!" greeting and also the slogan, "One shot, and I'm good for the whole day!" (that would have worked as Roger's last line!)

RIP.

I've always been very fond of him. Even if you knew him from nothing else, the Right Guard ads made him a real part of pop culture.

As Eric said, Chuck was a legend! I didn't know until I saw his obituary that one of his movies was called "The Projectionist", which goes nicely with his memorable Columbo appearance. I've heard (actually Chuck himself said this, and it may well have been true) that he did more TV episodes than any other person in history, over his many years of doing the kid-shows in various incarnations, sometimes 6 days a week. I also remember recognizing his voice on some of those old political comedy records, like David Frye's Nixon spoofs, and of course the classic Kennedy satire album "The First Family." He was still active (I followed him on Facebook), and recently he did an album called "Trump -- The Last Family". RIP, Chuck, and thanks for the laughs.

Sad news, R.I.P.

Chuck and Dick Van **** played Laurel and Hardy together, as well as both being friends of Stan.

Thanks for posting this! I've never seen it before, although I remember Dick doing his Stan on his own self-named show (which shall not be named here, thanks to Bravenet's picky filter), and of course Chuck had a whole TV series where he did his Hardy. Putting them together was a sort of all-star event. And the "Honeymooners" sketch was a great, unexpected bonus!!