The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grand Deceptions - The plot hole to end all plot holes

I guess that all depends on if Leon told Nancy about his arrangement with Freddy? She may only know that Leon won the lottery.

Nancy may have just believed that Leon, as her lover was getting Freddy out of the way for her. Don't forget, she wasn't even aware that Freddy had signed the divorce papers.

Nancy may just as well have found out about the full truth after Freddy's death hence she realises the only way to get any money is to stick with Leon.

As for the boxes in Grand Deceptions, there is no way of explaining that.

I never understood why Leon Lamar would even want Freddy’s wife in on the scam. After all, her only role was to call Leon from Freddy’s apartment. Couldn’t some homeless guy have done that? Is that really something you pay $15 million for? Also, Freddy was willing to give Uncle Leon a few million anyway.

If he paid some accomplice and then sent the guy on a cruise to Singapore, his scam would have been a lot more lucrative.

Rob, Leon would have zero motivation, if your theory is that Nancy thought Leon won the lottery, to commit first degree murder. And again, she reminds him while on the phone that she has 1/2 of the jackpot coming to her. Columbo also does visit her at the boutique and asks her why she delayed signing the divorce papers, since he had signed them. So in my estimation, she knew Freddy won the lottery, was trying to keep her from getting her piece, and then for the oddest of reasons, decides to conspire with Leon to kill Freddy.

Maybe the Colonel had so much confidence in his plan that he thought nobody would look that closely into the box issue? Or maybe he didn’t think it would occur to anybody to check out the boxes?

This episode did nothing for me.