The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most Irritated Villain

I just finished watching Butterfly In Shades of Gray which is one of the better “new”episodes. I don’t remember Columbo irritating any suspect as much as he does Fielding Chase. Chase is extremely arrogant and short-tempered so, of course, he keeps underestimating Columbo and ultimately has to keep calming down and backtracking while struggling to keep his cool with this nuisance detective that he looks down on.

A pet favorite scene of mine is in the restaurant when Fielding keeps waiting for Columbo to get to the point but Columbo gets interrupted by the waiter who has just delivered his tea. Columbo can’t figure out how to use the honey and Fieldeng bites his lip and says: “Twist it!”. The irked, impatient Chase is about to erupt at any time, but Columbo’s logic keeps forcing him to retreat.

I would like to know which other suspects were the most annoyed at Columbo and which scenes other fans like. Any other mentions? We can count other characters like Mrs. Goodland: “They’re policing morals now” or “We went for a long drive and you can make whatever you like out of that”.

Re: Most Irritated Villain

Fielding Chase was a great example. Another is Paul Galesko in "Negative Reaction", where getting under his skin was not just a personality clash, but also one of Columbo's chief strategies, and a key to the final set-up. Columbo makes a point of telling Galesko that he PERSONALLY supervised the copying of the (reversed) photo, twisting the knife against himself to make sure Galesko could NOT resist the chance to "prove him wrong" by grabbing the camera with the negative inside it. It worked because of the personal animosity that Columbo had been provoking from the first time he smelled what kind of guy Galesko was. A nice touch, Columbo using his own personality quirks to get the job done -- and, it was fun watching Galesko build up his slow burn, like Oliver Hardy, throughout the episode.

And not forgetting that Galesko had plans to jet off to Thailand with his rather attractive assistant and the only thing in his way was Columbo's persistent questions. Now that WOULD irritate the life out of any man!!

In that same scene, Columbo says: The original? I dropped the original in a vat of acid. But there’s been no mistake...I’ll TESTIFY to that.

Galseko knows he’s being framed and makes his foolish desperate move and incriminates himself. It’s a great “gotcha” moment, especially after Columbo irritated/insulted Galesko previously, i.e. the picture of a dog, will you take pictures at my brother-in- law’s anniversary, etc.

Quick trivia question: Who said this?:

?: Columbo, What are YOU doing here?
Columbo: I’m sorry sir. I was in the neighborhood.
? Well..You’re ALWAYS in the neighborhood!

Another constantly aggravated suspect, lol

That would be Ken Franklin. it is a classic line. Funny you should bring that one up because I was going to do a whole post on Murder By the Book and some of the things that are bothering me. I will put that up under a separate thread soon.

I would say that Milo Janus is another villain who Columbo really allows to get under his skin. I like the scene in the hospital waiting room when Columbo has his lit cigar and Milo says something to the effect of, "I see your health kick didn't last too long..." and Columbo snaps back with, "Long enough."

No one could act irritated in a "superior" way better than Ray Milland, so Jarvis Goodland is a great one.

She’s not a murderer (despite threats to kill Columbo) but the all time Most Irritated By Columbo Award goes to.......Mrs. Peck.

At one point in THE MOST CRUCIAL GAME, Robert Culp is so annoyed he sounds genuinely whiny instead of angry. It's that line "Columbo, what IS IT?!"

"Columbo I'm gonna THROW YOU OUTTA HERE! ON YOUR EAR!"