The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Me? I'd have taken a plane."

I didn’t realize that the two cities were less than two hours apart. Even in the 70’s I can’t imagine saving much time traveling by plane. Ken Franklin does say something like: “Ive just spent several hours driving up here. You must realize the news is on every radio station”. But even if Ken was farther than San Diego, he would have to drive to that airport.

Since most Americans don’t know the distance, I guess we should just assume, for plot purposes, that it’s a six hour drive from L.A. to the lake resort, with an airport conveniently close to the rural vacation area, lol

Since most Americans don’t know the distance, I guess we should just assume, for plot purposes, that it’s a six hour drive from L.A. to the lake resort

But while convincing Jim to go to the cabin, Ken pleads "Oh c'mon, it's only and hour and a half away". This further solifies it making no sense that Ken would fly back to LA upon hearing of Ken's shooting. Even with limited 1970's security, he would not have saved any time.

I think Ken Franklin did the overkill by dumping the body on his own front lawn.

And then casually opening his mail while phoning Columbo.... That perfect scene where Columbo notices the mail open and questions Franklin... Perfect!

I think the writers goofed by mentioning "San Diego". Maybe if they said "San Francisco" it would make more sense.

It would make more sense to fly from LA to San Francisco, but not San Diego.

Isn't there an episode where Columbo catches a flight to San Francisco to meet up with someone's (black) therapist? And he's eating oysters? HELP ME!

But having a cabin in San Francisco, when you live in LA, doesn't make sense either. Maybe they should've just thrown this clue out altogether! I guess they were hoping nobody looked at a map back then! Flying that distance just makes no sense.

In "Rest In Peace, Mrs. Columbo", Columbo flies up to San Francisco and interviews a psychiatrist played by Roscoe Lee Brown, whom I believe is the actor who replaced Benson on Soap. While eating escargot or possibly oysters the doctor reveals that he is not able to tell Columbo anything confidential. However he strongly hints that Columbo and his wife may be in danger generally speaking if they happen to know of anybody exhibiting certain character traits. Those traits of course happen to be those exhibited by Vivian Dimitri, so the doctor was able to warn Columbo without breaking his oath of confidentiality.

Murder By The Book is one of my favorite episodes despite the weak "gotcha". We also have to overlook the plot hole that, since the murder was committed at the lake house, Columbo has no jurisdiction.

Took me 3 years to notice and acknowledge your response Pete, but YES and CORRECT! And yes it was that actor with escargot!

How many multiple thousands of people are scared of flying and wouldn't if they were given free flights for life?