The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which Murderer Did Columbo "Like" the Most? the Least?

I've noticed that the ones he seems to dislike the most are the ones where someone else's life is on the line. As has been already said, those two being Milo Janis with Ruth Stafford almost overdosing and Dr. Mayfield with Dr. Hiedeman's life hanging by a thread (pun intended). I'm almost certain if Emmet Clayton hadn't successfully killed off Tomlin Dudek on his second attempt that Columbo would have taken a very serious turn in his demeanor towards Clayton. The only time I can think of where Columbo didn't get cross with someone when more people were going to possibly die was with Joe Devlin. I think an ongoing war and mass casualties were a little beyond what Columbo could rationally reason with and even after stopping the gun shipment, people were still going to be dying.

That reminds me of another one.
It's easy to overanalyze things, but I often think that one of his problems with Dr. Collier is knowing he was in the same room when he made the phone call to Nadia, so that he had a sort of "I could've done something" guilty attitude. Which makes me surprised he wasn't angrier at Collier after that scene than he was.

I think he really did like Adrian Carsini a lot. They sipped a lot of wine, had a meal (even though that was Carsini's set up).

There are a lot of criminals he didn't like; the list could go on forever, but Milo Janus has to be at or near the top. And once he got on the trail of Graham McVeigh he definitely did not like him at all. And of course McVeigh despised Columbo right up to the end until he realized that Columbo was the only one (supposedly) who could save his bacon.

I barely know the later COLUMBO, but I know that he's surprisingly nice to Vivian Dimitri all the way through the story, in spite of the obvious reasons he has for hating her.