The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question about 'An Exercise in Fatality'

Keep in mind that Milo was one arrogant S.O.B. He probably didn't care what, if anything, Stafford was holding because clearly he was no match for Mr. Vitamin Man....who can bench press 1,000 pounds and so on.

But Milo also never figured that columbo would ever suspect him; especially since he made up (he thought) the "perfect alibi."

I can see how a man who is about to commit murder might overlook or forget that the victim has something in his hand. His adrenaline would be pumping so high that he would be laser focused on the task at hand. Like Columbo once said (in Bye Bye Sky High?): the murderer only gets one chance to get it right. We do this all the time”. I’m paraphrasing, but I think it’s something like that.

On a side note, I would like to meet Milo’s nutritionist. Who recommends pills and carrot juice after a vigorous workout? And if fresh air were so important to Milo that he has to preach/annoy everybody he meets by praising it, then why choose to live in Los Angeles of all places? Especially in the 70’s as they had a serious smog problem back then.

Pete
I can see how a man who is about to commit murder might overlook or forget that the victim has something in his hand. His adrenaline would be pumping so high that he would be laser focused on the task at hand. Like Columbo once said (in Bye Bye Sky High?): the murderer only gets one chance to get it right. We do this all the time”. I’m paraphrasing, but I think it’s something like that.

On a side note, I would like to meet Milo’s nutritionist. Who recommends pills and carrot juice after a vigorous workout? And if fresh air were so important to Milo that he has to preach/annoy everybody he meets by praising it, then why choose to live in Los Angeles of all places? Especially in the 70’s as they had a serious smog problem back then.

Overlooking what the victim has in his hand, Milo is lucky Gene wasn't holding a letter opener.

Gene Stafford may have been great with financial matters, but he was an idiot regarding human nature.

"Gee there's my sworn enemy whom I have repeatedly told that I am going to destroy. He's much stronger than me and he showed up here late at night, unannounced after I threatened to expose his corrupt financial empire. He even let himself in with his own key, and there's nobody else in the building. I think I'll goad him some more and further detail how I will ruin his life. In fact, I'll turn my back on him while I do it!"

all while pouring myself a cup of coffee. Why didn't he ask Milo if he wanted a cup while he was at it?

Of course, that's a famous "dumb" thing for people to do in suspense stories, telling someone about the trouble you're going to get them into, instead of just DOING it. (I know I harp on this one, but that also includes Lenore in DEATH LENDS A HAND.) I'm kind of glad COLUMBO didn't use that idea VERY often.

Jan
Just watched this excellent episode and wondering why Milo chose the moment Gene Stafford had the coffee pot in his hand to try and strangle him. The coffee stain on the rug is one of the first clues to suspect foul play. The coffee burn in fact comes in as the first clue for our Lt. to begin to suspect Milo. Anybody else think Milo's behaviour was irrational at that moment? I would say he could have waited until Gene did not have anything on his hand to fight back.
I always thought of it as a wasted clue. Not much came of it. But yeah, Milo should have waited until Gene put the pot down. Great episode.