The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best NBC episodes for not-too-interested teenagers

Not sure why you'd just point to the NBC ones, I think an ABC one like "Columbo Goes to College" might really intrigue them. You have the whole cheating-at-school element, along with the ending where Columbo baits his suspects into incriminating themselves.

But if you want it to be NBC, I do think "Exercise in Fatality" would amuse them. I mean, there are some funny scenes in the gym with shirtless guys working out who really should have no business being shirtless anywhere but in the privacy of their own homes...lol.

Sorry, I missed your post (or perhaps it took so long for me to write mine that yours was sent meanwhile).

The only reason why I need it to be an NBC episode is because those are the only ones which have been released on DVD with subtitles in Spanish, and I do need subtitles in Spanish if I want someone to pay attention beyond the first two minutes of it.

I had already thought of "Columbo Goes to College", but I had discarded it for the above reason. But I'll certainly have a look at "Exercise in Fatality", too. At least the shirtless guys will catch the students' attention (the girls' for one reason, and the boys' for another).

Thanks for the idea!

I think perhaps Suitable for Framing, Publish or Perish and Now You See Him would be good choices. They all have relatively straightforward plots with detestable bad guys that are fun to watch when their fat is thrown in the fire. The Dale Kingston reveal is classic.

I think I'm going to have to watch them all again, to figure out what in them might be appealing to teenagers. An excuse as good as any other to watch some Columbo :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks for the suggestions!

A Friend in Deed and Publish or Perish.

"A Friend in Deed" added to the list! ("P&P" had already been suggested).

Thanks!

I agree A Friend In Deed might be a good one. It gets straight to business and has some dark moments. A memorable villain and a clever ending.

I'm late to say this, Vergara, but it is great to see you posting. I never knew you were a teacher.

I've read through all your posts in this thread and you keep mentioning Spanish subtitles. Are you in the US teaching English to Spanish speaking students? If so, the episode A Matter of Honor might appeal to them. It's not one of the best episodes, but it's set in Mexico around an old bullfighter.

There's the spy story sub-plot (not that I've ever really understood it) of "Identity Crisis."