The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Would fame have made Columbo's job harder?

What about Swanny Swanson, from LAST SALUTE TO THE COMMODORE? He's about as big a nobody as you can get.

Grant
The question about who is the least "elite" is interesting.
One who strikes you as someone still struggling to get ahead is Kay Freestone.
Harold van Wycke comes to mind as does Ruth Lytton .

The Van Wicks are the owners of a large electronics conglomerate with a super high-tech house.

The Lyttons are another elite family. They've been in the newspapers in the Society section, etc. They just don't make enough money to afford the mansion AND the museum. At least that's the impression that I got. I could be wrong.

As for Swanny, he may be a nobody, but he's the nephew of a shipping tycoon. And, as muddled as the episode was, his motive was to inherit before the Commodore changed his will.

That's a great catch. I re-watched the episode and he does say exactly that. He is tired from working on the Heyward case. That's a great little hat tip to fanatics like us, although apparently I missed it.

Another post dealt with "Death Hits The Jackpot" and I realized that both Freddy and Leon Lamar were broke. Leon did own a high-end Beverly Hills jewelery store, but he was struggling. Freddy was a down-on-his-luck photographer. That may be the least "elite" in the Columbo world because Justin's nightclub looked like it was about to put him in the big leagues.

So, excepting the 87th Precinct episodes (which I erased from my mind anyway, lol), I think Freddy and Leon may take the prize. Any other nominees for least elite?

And I hope I didn't hijack your thread Rob.