The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Observation: "Coach" From Cheers Directs Two Episodes

Nicholas Colasanto, or "Coach" from the successful TV show Cheers, also directed two episodes of Columbo, specifically "Etude in Black" and "Swan Song."

Re: Observation: "Coach" From Cheers Directs Two Episodes

Yep, that was him. For a time there were rumors that Etude was "really" directed by Cassavetes, with Colasanto just a figurehead, but those stories were all swatted down by multiple people who were there and witnessed Colasanto's directing skills in action. Nick was multi-talented!

You might find it interesting to know that in "Swan Song", as you pointed out that Nick Colasanto directed, there is a scene where Columbo says to Tommy Brown, "I spoke to your arranger." and Brown replies, "Nick Solecanto?" I'd say it was obvious a little play on the director's last name, right?

Yes, I forgot about that "Nick Solecanto" reference -- good catch!

I just noticed the connection between "Nick Solecanto" and "Nicholas Colasanto" myself (on perhaps my twentieth viewing of "Swan Song"), and this is the only place on the web I could find any mention of it when I tried to confirm that the link was intentional.