The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who was your Favorite FEMALE Killer?

So clearly the relationship with Kay and Mark is the issue. She gets excited when she says “your job”, not only about the promotion , but because there is still the likelihood that they are still a couple, albeit long distance. As soon as she realizes he’s not leaving her behind for a promotional reason, she realizes she is getting dumped. Because that means there is absolutely no reason not to take her to New York. And on top of it he is not acknowledging her ability which is adding insult to injury. So I clearly believe it is the relationship issue. The promotion part was just the only acceptable reason she would be happy with him not taking her

As for Valerie, I completely disagree on their relationship being anything but friendship. Kay is her go to best friend when she’s having life problems and the whole “key” thing is likely just that whatever problems she’s having, she shows up on Kay’s doorstep and crashes there even if Kay isn’t home to let her in. Totally think everyone is reading way too much into that. Kay is the logical sympathetic friend who always tries to help her and put her back on track.

Irene, we can all certainly agree to disagree. I think it's somewhat obvious there is more there than friendship. People don't just give out keys to their apartments if they are simply friends. Pretty sure Valerie would have her own place. They have phones to communicate and I don't think you're really "seeing" their interactions for what they are. For 1978, this was very risque but I think very obvious that they had something going. Also factors in more as to how she viewed Mark as somewhat disposable.

I always assumed that Kay and Valerie’s affair was physical: “How about a hug?”, etc. That doesn’t prove anything but if it’s true then the career-obsessed Kay had romances with her boss and a powerful but vulnerable celebrity; both people who could help Kay in her career.

When Kay heard those infamous words: “I can’t give you the west coast, Babe”, she became homicidal. The irony is that Mark was right. Kay really wasn’t ready for the job. She made some terrible decisions, particularly leaving the unstable Valerie Kirk in for a live show.

There’s no point in arguing whether or not Kay and Valerie were lovers. The writers left it ambiguous, so however you choose to perceive it is “correct” IMHO. It’s similar to the guilt of Abigail Mitchell’s nephew.

Whenever Kay Freestone/Make Me a Perfect Murder is the focus of a discussion, this debate about Kay and Valerie always pops up. I think all that can be said has been said about this but it certainly seems that the episode was controversial, whether it intended to be or not. Does anyone think that Kay tries to put the moves on Columbo a bit in the scene in her old childhood home when she gives him a massage?The first time i saw the episode i thought she was going to lean over and kiss him it was so physical. Columbo only ever got more physical than that with one other woman in the series and that was Faye Dunaway.

I thought that Shirley in Lovely But Lethal may have had feelings beyond friendship for Viveca as well, the way she was staring at her at some points in the episode and when she kissed her on the beach Viveca looked very uncomfortable.

Maybe Viveca was uncomfortable getting affection from Shirley because of the plan to murder her.