The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Robert Culp

Mark
Agree. I enjoy all his episodes, too. He is good at playing an arrogant character, which makes it more enjoyable when Columbo out foxes him.
Even when he is not the murderer (Columbo Goes To College), he is still arrogant as hell as Jordan Rowe, famed attorney for the University where his spoiled kid Justin goes. Referring to Columbo and Rowe, "I can't DO your homework for you" he tells the Lt. Later on stating "This is the second time we met, it is, isn't it?" Very cocky and so well played.

Greatest American Hero was the first thing that came to mind. For Columbo everything he's in his is awesome probably my favorite is murder linds a hand. Just too arrogant for his own good

I'll honestly stop whatever I'm doing to watch Double Exposure (even if it's half way through.) For me it contains the perfect performance by Robert Culp. He's so full of self importance, conceit, arrogance, superiority. The constant sneering correction whenever Columbo (totally on purpose) dares call him Mr Kepple, 'that's Dr Kepple'.
He looks utterly magnificent in it too; denim shirt, open yellow jacket (top 70's style points there.) Delivering some great lines too, 'not a chance.'
There's a lot of discussion about the best Columbo adversary ever - Jack Cassidy, Patrick McGoohan or Robert Culp? Well that's six of one and half a dozen of another. But Robert, in Double Exposure, is the perfect foil to Columbo's nagging persistence. And for that alone he's top of the list for me.

Have to agree with you. Robert Culp always has the perfect cocky swagger and demeanour about him to make him a fantastic villain to watch. The best scene in Double Exposure is the dialogue on the golf course, Columbo wrecking his shots, and Culp cheating and saying no one will know. Perfection!!