The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best Murderer Reactions to Getting Caught

Right after I pushed in for suitable for framing I just remembered Roddy McDowell's mechanic on the sky tram that was satisfying. The other 1 but I cannot remember the name is the food critic who tries to poison Columbo it's a very satisfying conclusion

Culp's reaction at the end of "Most Crucial Game" IMO is what helps lift the episode above the fact that it has some serious story/structure problems. It's been pointed out that proving Culp was away from the box isn't really enough to convict him of the murder, but the way Culp sells the moment and the music, editing etc. is what makes you overlook that on first viewing. If the episode succeeds in doing that and not making you realize the plot problem until later on, then it's still a success IMO.

The climax of "Short Fuse" also helps compensate for the fact that it too has some serious story structure problems.

My opinion the climax was the only thing worth watching on short fuse. Rodney McDonald's fake laughter upon seeing the lieutenant covered in Silly String it's pretty hard to watch for me but like you said they climax makes up for a lot of the episodes of shortcomings

Have to agree with you on the plot, Eric. I still have more trouble with what possibly was Hanlon's motivation to kill Eric Wagner. They just didn't give me enough motivation to accept his actions. Shirley Wagner? Maybe, but they gave us nothing to show that he was nothing more than a good friend. Shirley gets the empire. Unless he just felt tired of Eric's immature, partying ways that he just wanted to snuff him out. But I think that Columbo destroying his alibi, because as he put it, "I had to break that alibi." left Hanlon having to create a new one. Throw in Eve Babcock and then you probably have enough to bring charges from the DA.

It also demonstrates that Hanlon went out of his way to fake an alibi for himself. Why would he do that if he weren’t covering up a murder?

Also Sean Brantley's blind, unbelievable stare at the body of his partner wrapped in that garment bag. Looking at it in disbelief as her watch pager is going off with Columbo's message: GOTCHA.

Steve
Also Sean Brantley's blind, unbelievable stare at the body of his partner wrapped in that garment bag. Looking at it in disbelief as her watch pager is going off with Columbo's message: GOTCHA.

Nice call, Steve. "Columbo Cries Wolf", along with "Columbo Goes to College" are two of my favorite ABC episodes. The "GOTCHA" ending is pretty classic. I'm still trying to figure out of Brantley did the actual drywall in the bathroom though lol. If so, he did great work :)

Mark MacAndrews
Steve
Also Sean Brantley\'s blind, unbelievable stare at the body of his partner wrapped in that garment bag. Looking at it in disbelief as her watch pager is going off with Columbo\'s message: GOTCHA.

Nice call, Steve. "Columbo Cries Wolf", along with "Columbo Goes to College" are two of my favorite ABC episodes. The "GOTCHA" ending is pretty classic. I'm still trying to figure out of Brantley did the actual drywall in the bathroom though lol. If so, he did great work :)
Not only did he have to do the drywall, he had to stuff her body into the bag, somehow get it in between the 2x4s and piping, put in all the insulation and then do the drywall. It's a good ending, but everything Brantley had to do after he killed her is a bit out there.

Eve Babcock's role was critical in nailing Hanlon. She knew he planned on killing Wagner, why else would he not have the bugs removed when he caught her bugging the phones in his office. She was far too street savvy to not question Hanlon's motivation. Did you notice how nervous he became when she called the Wagner residence. At that time it was just ruled an accidental death. Hanlon stormed out to talk to her.
An episode with interesting female roles(Shirley Wagner and Babcok....er Rigorsie.

Yes.
The Culp/ COLUMBO interplay is fantastic.
" There, you did it again; turned it down but not off"
A terrific episode. I also love the.montage when Lt. is trying to figure things out.
FRAMING has a great ending also, although I always had a problem with Martin trying to convince the search warrant.

Re: WOLF.
There is an an old-time radio play- I think it was THE WHISTLER- where the killer buries a woman under floorboards unaware she had set a portable alarm clock! Written by....Jackson Gillis!

As I was pinning a post I was reminded about the ending of a friend indeed I can't believe I forgot that one. When Val Avery yells out "hey, I don't even live here!" in that New York accent of his the look on Mark Halperin face is priceless.

Bart Kepple's aghast realization that his own method of the subliminal cut was his undoing, followed by that deranged and sinister snicker in defeat.

Suitable for Framing...i love the way the arrogant, cocky murderer is left speechless; lip quivering and all!

Dale Kingston in Suitable For Framing for the win. I think one of the things that makes this episode stand out is that Dale is caught red-handed and humiliated in front of his aunt Edna whom he tried to frame for the murder. Dale's reaction is priceless. I also really enjoyed Candidate For Crime. All Nelson Hayward can do is stand there with that "I'm finished" expression upon his face while Columbo exposes him. Harold's tantrum reaction in Playback, realizing that his security system was his undoing (I guess it really did work after all).

That has got to one of the best!. And Ross Martin played such an arrogent and hateful character. It was a great joy to see him reduced to a stuttering buffoon at the end.
This was another double burder where thexsecond murder goes unprosocuted [at least on camera]