The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food and drink to accompany episodes

Apart from the obvious item, chili, does anyone feel the urge to not only eat and drink during episodes, but to "coordinate" the items with the episodes?

One obvious one is wine during ANY OLD PORT IN A STORM.

Also, it's no joke to say that the end of RANSOM FOR A DEAD MAN makes me want to have either sherry or root beer (if only they tasted all right TOGETHER).

Re: Food and drink to accompany episodes

I constantly make references to 'Any old Port' with my wife. Such as.." I can't wait to see what you've selected for our after dinner wine" LOL

and i do feel like sipping some wine during that episode :)

Off the top of my head, 2 episodes come to mind.
First, murder under glass. I always want to create the dishes that are served during that episode. That final meal the, I think it's veal, served with wine and that setting just always makes me crave fine Italian dinner.
The second episode is double shock I want to recreate the "health" cookies for some reason I envisioned them to be similar to The Nature Valley granola

For me, one scene that stands out is the one in "Troubled Waters". Nothing fancy---just a beautiful whiskey (bourbon?) on the rocks that Columbo keeps raising to his lips and never drinking. He must have done it five times.

At the end of the scene, he leaves, never having taken a sip, and thanks Danzinger for the drink. Robert Vaughn looks at the drink, and mutters something like "my pleasure."

Such a waste!

Absolutely "Murder Under Glass" makes me ravenous! It's not even the banquet at the end. It's all of the food that Columbo eats from the very start of the episode. But I always crave the crab-stuffed mushrooms, first and foremost.