The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Which 'New' episodes hold up to the 70's series

"College" has one big fly in the ointment for me, and it's at the very end. One of my problems with the later series is how often it gave Columbo a sort of stereotyped "tough cop" partner to work with (as opposed to a "Sergeant Kramer" type), something that clashes with the whole idea of the show. I know a lot of people like seeing "those young punks" get what's coming to them, but when the partner grabs hold of one of them and says "C'MON!" in that bitten-off voice, it really annoys me, because it's such an "anti"-COLUMBO kind of moment.
As I said, it's a fly in the ointment in an otherwise very good one.

I don't know it well, but it's nice that "It's All In The Game" finally gave the show a "femme fatale" - I mean a character who becomes one with Columbo himself, as opposed to other men.

None. They are unwatchable. Falk seems tired and uninspired. The Columbo character is mostly a parody of himself. The plots and solutions are ridiculous. Instead of the realistic atmosphere of the 70s and murderers with substance we get a plastic phony atmosphere and annoying brats.

I used to call them unrecognized actors, but "Annoying brats" is a more accurate statement. I only enjoy the episodes that utilize actors I am familiar with. The exception to that was yesterday's episode Columbo likes the nightlife The Killers were "annoying brats" but Steve schirripa made the whole episode watchable for me. besides, I think it was John Finnegan's final Columbo

Bruce
I used to call them unrecognized actors, but "Annoying brats" is a more accurate statement. I only enjoy the episodes that utilize actors I am familiar with. The exception to that was yesterday's episode Columbo likes the nightlife The Killers were "annoying brats" but Steve schirripa made the whole episode watchable for me. besides, I think it was John Finnegan's final Columbo
Columbo likes the Nightlife was everybody's final Columbo. :wink:

Touche!
Color me embarrassed, :flushed:
That explains why the next days episode was Prescription for Murder.