The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing the Forums "old timers"

I was thinking the other day how much I miss Cass and I realized there are a bunch of folks that were on here that arent today. ( Ted maybe you can help out). I apologize up front if some of these folks are no longer with us and I just didnt know. Folks like:

Headache.
Mrs. Peck
Eric Paddon
Rob Thornsby
and of course Cass who was not just a great Columbo fan but a person with a bubbly personality outside of the forum.
And there are othets.

Ive been here since 2005 and its still a fantadtic medium. I try to check in several times a week. Thank u all who make this place great.

Re: Missing the Forums "old timers"

I'm still here. I don't post too often but I always still look in (anytime the subject of "Forgotten Lady" comes up, chances are I'll plunge into a free-for-all!). I also still miss Cass tremendously too.

Fred, thanks for your thoughts, and for the chance to reminisce. I'll start, for context, by pointing out that this site and this Forum have been around since February 1997 -- that's more than 20 years, folks -- making us, I think we can claim, one of the longest-running sites of this kind still on the web continuously. And, with the exception that I began contributing about a year later while one of the original designers, Bob Hoey, moved on to other projects, still under the same creators' "management" if you can call it that!

So it's natural that over the course of a couple of decades, people will find us, enjoy what we have to offer, and at some point move along to other interests. Thankfully, others come along as well. And some of the current group of Forum contributors have been here for quite a long time, it seems to me! That would include yourself, and off the top of my head, Mark MacAndrews, Quid Pro Quo and a number of other beloved members of the fan family.

And I know what you mean about the really legacy Forum members, but I think there are more of them here than you might realize. Eric Paddon still lurks and occasionally makes his always-valued contributions as we've just seen, we occasionally have the pleasure of hearing from Vergara (formerly of Spain, then America), and there are some others who I think go back farther than you might realize, like "Mark," Rob L, Stephen, and Peter or Pete. We're always happy to see old friends as well as new!

Occasionally I remember the saltier ones, too -- that slightly crazy Tamlyn who had acting ambitions and had a way of quarreling with others here. And there was that guy Anthony from Australia, who had an obsessive belief that the site was gathering everyone's IP addresses for some illicit purpose (huh?). He also repeatedly claimed I was making a ton of money off this site (which couldn't be farther from the truth -- it costs money to pay for the hosting, and I've never gotten a penny from anyone to do the site, nor has Stephen.)

The worst by far was the guy who was such a dedicated Columbo fan until the day he learned that Peter Falk was Jewish, and this guy lost his mind. He sold all his Columbo VHS tapes, posted foul rants, and to this day there are nasty, false things he wrote about me on the internet for no reason. It turned out he was a frequent poster to a right-wing crazy web group where he posted about chem-trails, and Chinese soldiers living underground in New England, and, quite frequently, advocating that all Jews should be taken away in boxcars. He still posts extreme right-wing stuff elsewhere, and still holds a weird grudge. I love pretty much all Columbo fans, but that creep was the exception!

You mention Headache, a terrific guy with a great sense of humor. I hope he wouldn't mind if I say that he was very badly hurt when Cassavetes45 passed away -- they enjoyed a happy (and of course platonic) correspondence off the site as well, and I think re-visiting this Forum after her passing was just too difficult for him. Maybe he'll pop up again one day!

Anyway, many thanks as always to all of you who visit and post, as you are what makes it all worthwhile.

I'll add "just one more thing": Some of you may have found this Forum, from searching Bravenet or Google, without ever realizing that it's part of a much larger fan site, the Ultimate Columbo Site. Sure it looks quaint now -- other than revising the home page, Webmaster Steve thinks it is best to keep it in the old HTML 1, almost Geocities type style, as a bit of web nostalgia appropriate to a nostalgia site like this. Anyway, if you get a chance to visit or revisit, I especially like to recommend the Scrapbook area of the site, if only because almost everything there, unless otherwise noted, was written by me -- back in my bachelor days, when I had more time on my hands! The Ultimate Columbo Site's home page is at

http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/

Thanks again, and cheers to all of you.

Ted thank you so much for the well thought-out and expertly written response to my post.

As one of the relative “newbies”, I thank you Ted and all who contribute. I didn’t know about this site for many years, and wish I had known earlier because I enjoy it so much. I check it several times a week.

Thanks for the mention Ted. I can't quite remember when I first posted but think it could be around 10 years ago. Still enjoy discussing the greatest detective tv show ever made.

Regards.

Rob

I pop by every week or so and always enjoy reading stuff that even after all these years I didn't know! So yes, our site is very special and we are all grateful to admin for its continuation. Not forgetting the great man himself Peter, who made my Saturday nights so interesting during the 1970's as a kid. Columbo used to get top billing on BBC1 here in the UK! In later years it went over to BBC2, then Channel 5, and now its on Channel 10 & 21 most weekends. I love watching all those famous old actors too who still had so much to give each role.... they were all true professionals.

Been awhile since I've posted, but I will always come back and visit one of my favorite sites about one of my favorite shows.

Thanks for the shout-out, Ted :)

I love that I know I can always come back to the Fan Forum where I will find fans that are equally dedicated in their love of Peter Falk/Columbo.