The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sam Franklin painting

Yes, in fact the Sam Franklin painting in the hospital appears to be the same as one that's displayed in Sam's gallery visit, from Season 1 -- or at least they're very similar (we don't get a good look at the same part of the canvas). So it looks like they recycled a "Suitable For Framing" prop in "Exercise In Fatality," just as some other props were re-used across different episodes.

pic-in-gallery0321d63531669836.jpg

pic-in-hosp7c9cd43dd0df40cb.jpg

Thank you Ted, nice to see some extra details filled in!

I hadn't realise this picture also appears in 'Suitable for Framing' - makes me think it's more likely to be just re-using a prop rather than anything more deliberate, but who knows?

Impressive attention to detail that they went to the length of signing a prop picture with the name of the artist character. On the other hand, I remember in that scene in 'Suitable for Framing' that Dale Kingston says something like "No matter how abstract the painting, he always signs his name realistically". I'd somehow never interpreted this comment as referring to Sam Franklin personally, but perhaps this is how it was intended. Maybe even at one stage they meant to give more prominence to Franklin's paintings in this episode, hence the signature being written in that way?

Franklin's repertoire seems somewhat diverse. This painting is fairly abstract, but elsewhere the episode we see him painting (presumably) a nude portrait, and when he arrives at the art viewing Kingston says something patronising like "You're the painter of these arid landscapes". It seems Franklin hasn't quite found his style and so can't break past the hospital market.

To change the topic about noticing other things in other shows -- in "The Most Crucial Game," after Dean Stockwell's character is killed and they are at his house, the music from "Etude in Black," is playing in the background. Then it fades out when the bug static takes effect.

Hi Ted - the same Sam Franklin painting also appears in 'A Friend in Deed', on the wall of Halperin's office. It's clearly visible in his first interview there with Columbo (around 33 minutes in).

Does anyone have a picture of the blue horse painting