The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Columbo and Children

I noticed that in some shows where Columbo interacts with children, if it took place currently, he would have been in big trouble. For example, in "Death Lands a Hand," when he is pushing Teddy on the swing set without his mother around. In "Identity Crisis," when he is sitting at the picnic table telling the girl she is pretty. Finally, in "Etude in Black," when he is at the ballet school with Wells' neighbor hoping that she can identify the killer.

Does anyone else have examples?

Re: Columbo and Children

in Caution Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health the neighbor's kid introduces Columbo to the dog that eventually solves Bud Clark's murder. In fact that same kid and dog appear in the final scene when Wade Anders is arrested.

I'll have to watch it again. I don't remember that scene. I have every show on DVD. I like Columbo so much, that I have watched and rewatched seasons 1-4. I am on my second go round on 5-7 and the special movies.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I just remembered another one. In Mind Over Mayhem, the kid operated the robot.

The interaction that Columbo had with Steve in that scene would not have gotten him into trouble, as would his interaction with the examples I had mentioned in my past messages. When Columbo went to the ballet school in "Etude in Black" without a parent to talk with Audrey, that would have been so inappropriate these days.

I liked "Mind over Mayhem," because the first scene with the dog getting kicked out of school was so precious. When I first saw that, I really thought they were talking about one of Columbo's kids.

Just watched "By Dawn's Early Light" again. When Columbo is tracking down Springer at the the girl's school, he approaches a coed and says "I'm looking for a girl". What a line!

The girl is suspicious, but amazingly gives him the information.

I forgot about that one. That would not go over today. Out of all of Columbo's episodes, "By Dawns Early Light," is my favorite. I like the chemistry between him and Patrick McGoohan. I also like when Columbo spends the nights at the barracks. I can watch it over and over again, which I have.

Thanks for your comment.

Patrick McGoohan was fantastic in all 4 episodes he was in. My favorite one with him is playing Oscar Finch. He portrays a lawyer perfectly ( i.e. arrogant as hell)

I had a difficult time understanding the episode, "Identity Crisis." It was confusing with Stymetz and Leslie Nielsen's part. Columbo's reaction to the belly dancer was quite interesting. "Ashes to Ashes" was alright but like I mentioned, "By Dawn's Early Light," was my favorite episode.

In "Identity Crisis," another example of Columbo with children is when Stymetz and Geronimo had won large panda bears and Stymetz finds a girl and presents her with "Archibald". Both of them stand next to the girl and there is no parent around. That would not go over in this society today.

We also have the 14 year old IQ girl in Sky High IQ Murder case.