The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Murder by the Book"

While I was watching "Murder by the Book," I noticed that Ken Franklin gave Columbo two copies of the same Mrs. Melville books. Also, I disagree with Columbo's reasoning for taking a plane. I agree with Ken, I would have driven, as well. Because the time it would take to get to the airport, fly to LA and leave that airport, driving would have been quicker.

Just a thought.

Re: "Murder by the Book"

I agree about the flying. Ken would have to have drove into San Diego, go tot he airport, book a flight (and hope that the first flight out wasn't booked solid), wait for his departure time, sit through the taxiing on the runway, fly to Los Angeles, wait for the plane to stop at his gate, he wouldn't have had any luggage so he could bypass that, but his car is still in San Diego so he would have had to either get a taxi or rent a car. Either way, he would have to deal with the traffic leaving one of the busiest airports in the country, then deal with traffic to the Ferris house. That would add up to a lot more than the time it took him to drive.

I was stationed in Long Beach (just south of Los Angeles) and San Diego while I was in the Navy and I would drive between both cities on the weekends and even with how bad traffic was in the early 90s, it only took me between 2 - 2 1/2 hours.

Brett: Perfect analysis. Not that cost matters, but it would have been a lot more expensive to do it that way. Driving is still the top option

There is also the time and cost of flying back down to San Diego the next day to get his car back.

I was watching this episode recently and wondering, why on earth does he hand Columbo so many books? The guy has a murder to solve.. every second is crucial, and the more time that goes by the less likely cases are to be solved. He has the nerve to hand him...8 books?

I'm just thinking: it could be purposeful from Ken, he might want to make Columbo lose precious time and not solve the real murder!