The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Make Me a Perfect Murder Question ( to naive speakers )

Thanks for your kind reply! I'm really happy that I found this site, where all you great fans gather and discuss Columbo. To me the only "America" back then was what I could see through Columbo, and as a very young girl I started to long to see his country just for once ( or more than that ) someday. Really, now with all kinds of gadgets available, any TV dramas, music, pop culture of across the world are just one click away, but things were totally different back then. Columbo was my only "textbook" to see that there is another world out there. A good world where such a good cop teaches a lesson to bad guys.

So this scene was kind of "after-the-fact"-ly arranged so it could imply Columbo's determination ( the English version ) or leave the crucial part untold until close to the ending ( the Japanese version ).

I appreciate you saying that you'll be trying to see the subtible for the scene sometime. It'd be even more interesting if some DVD has a completely different line.:upside_down_face:

As you can imagine, Columbo has been very popular here even now and occasionally they re-run good episodes over and over. Just the other day our national TV broadcast conducted a poll "Which episode do you like the best?" and they are showing the top 20s now. https://www9.nhk.or.jp/kaigai/columbo/special/

One reason that made this show such a longtime hit here comes from the actor who dubbed Peter Fork as well as the exquisite Japanese translation. Columbo speaks very tasteful, polite Japanese with very throughtfully-chosen wording.

Thanks again!

Hi Yuko

It is great to hear from you. Welcome!

What is your favorite episode? Mine is "By Dawn's Early Light." I like his chemistry with Patrick McGoohan. I also liked when he stayed in the barracks on campus. Patrick McGoohan received an Emmy for his portrayal of Col. Mumford.

I'm very fortunate, I have every show on DVD so I can watch the episodes several times over. It seems that when I rewatch the shows, I learn something new.

Thank you Ted, cindy, for your warm welcome!
( But I noticed the big typo in the title of this thread..... :scream: of course I meant NATIVE speakers! My apology.. )

And thanks for asking about my favorite episode. I too think he was phenomenal in "By Dawn's Early Light" with Patric McGoohan. I guess my favorite one is "The Bye-Bye Sky High I.Q. Murdur Case." I liked it when he was talking so sweet with the young girl and made her a happy girl. Also I find it just cool when he talked about himself - "All my life I kept running into smart people...."

Yes, watching Columbo DVDs, I also find something new, can somehow see things in different lights every time I see it. One great thing with Columbo stories, especially the earlier episodes.